If someone was sitting next to someone who has swine flu, what are the chances for them contracting the flu?

I am scared because my son told me that he sat next to someone who has it. In PA there are alot of cases of it popping up and in areas around here. He was outside so the area wasn't confined to an inside, small area. My son told me and I am furious that his dad told the person to sit right next to him when he knew this person had it. Should I do anything special as a preventative measure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Health

• How healthy is he? If he was already a pretty healthy person and wasn't too too close the the person who is sick he may be okay. If you are worried about it, check out this page

http://www.fluhelp.org/#natural_flu_remedies

SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 2:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 about a month ago; no one else in our house contracted it;. It is truly no worse than a typical winter virus. Doctors are no longer testing for it, as it is so widespread. They are only prescribing the anti-viral meds for high risk patients, as the risk of serious side effects outweigh the (relatively) mild flu symptons.
    Treat this like any other virus: lots of fluids, acetominophen or ibuprofen for aches and fevers, lots of peppermint tea (a natural decongestant), make a cough syrup/throat soother with honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory), Emergen-C are packets of powder that you mix with cold water (loaded with vitamin C, with Bs and zinc for energy). With really bad congestion, you may want to take a benadryl at night and a sudafed (get the real kind, that you have to sign for, but generic is fine) during the day to prevent a sinus infection.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009