Do you pay for your teens cell phone?

We make my son pay for his line, its 9.99 a month. We have a small plan and mostly only talk when needed the three of us share our 700 minutes with unlimited text. My step son now wants us to put him on our plan because his mother canceled their plan, Then told his father (dh) that we will need to get a large minute plan just for him. Of course (dh) told him no that we would not do that if he wanted to join our plan he would have to pay the 9.99 for the extra line and share our minutes and if it was him that went over he would have to pay for the additional minutes. What are your thoughts? We want to teach our boys responsibility and teach them they have to work for what they get.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• when i was a teen my parents paid for mine... but they made my brothers and sisters pay there by them self.. what can i say i was the baby and i was the only one left at home with my paretns...

my parents got a lot of shit b/c they payed for my but not theres
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• you should try to get more then 700 b/c teens and there mins go fast!
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The problem is we cant afford to get more, we are struggling like many others. With the three of us now we dont even come close to using our minutes because we know that we cant. My step son on the other hand does not get it.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Get him a pre paid phone and make him buy his own mins
    JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We suggested the prepaid phone and he would not go for it. He is acting so mean about the entire situation. He thinks his dad owes him.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I am 21 and my step-mom paid for my phone, even after my dad passed away when I was 17. My mom absolutely refused. But my 16 year old twin sisters are on my mom's plan(and have been for the past 2 years). She pays for theirs' but if they go over they have to pay for the overage cost and get their phones taken away for a certain amount of time(depending on how badly they went over). If he has a lot of friends with that phone service then it is free mobile to mobile, Or if most of his friends have a certain company, get him a pre-paid version of that, b/c it should still be free mobile to mobile. I have pre paid Alltel and Cingular(when I was in college before I got married and had no money lol) and with both I had unlimited text, free nights and weekends, and free mobile to mobile and it was only $1 a day(unless you used the internet or sent/received pic messages). Hope this helps =)
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i pay for my kids phones but now that my daughter is 18 she is going to pay her portion of the bill. that was her idea.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 7:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We don't have a landline, so we pay the $15 a month (line plus unlimited texting) for our teen's phone. She did not want any of the free phones, and had to pay for the phone she wanted.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I pay the bill but make them each give me $ 20 a month (even though they usually don't) MY bill is around 130 a month with 1500 min and unlimited text.. If he wants to be on your plan and wants more minutes I would suggest he pays for the extra line and the cost of the extra minutes.
    2kidsand1mom

Answer by 2kidsand1mom at 9:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• He has a prepaid phone.. He does chores for allowance and pays for his own minutes. If he does something above what is expected we reward him with upload cards and also throw them in with his gifts for bday, xmas,etc. We make him put 25% of his allowance in a savings account for his car. When he turns 16 dad and I will match what is in the account and he can buy a car. He will have a job to pay for insurance and gas. But again 25% of what he earns goes into savings first. This way when he gets out on his own, he will have a nest egg..and hopefully have the saving habit. We started so young (had him at 16 and 17) and had to struggle for years. We dont want the same for him so are trying to instill the value that you work and save for what you have. Hopefully this will instill financial responsibility in him.
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 5:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2009