toddler with vaginal odor

Is it normal, while potty training, for my 2.5 year old daughter to have vaginal odor? Could it be from her not wiping properly or could it be something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's probably because she isn't wiping correctly. my dd had the same problem. we had to get her a box of wipes just for the bathroom because tp wasnt good enough. i give her a good wipe down after she goes just to make sure she got everything. i forgot what it's called, but they have little bathroom wipes for toddlers now. i think it's called kandoo but i'm not sure. anyway, after that we just had problems with her flushing the wipes. =P just wipe her better & teach her to wipe front to back
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Totally normal!!!
    JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I am glad that you are getting nice honest answers on this one. I asked this questions a couple weeks ago and got reemed, said I wasn't washing my DD properly and that I was a sicko! So to answer your question, yes it is normal. I started noticing it when my DD was potty training. Just need to be sure she is wiped really good!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Does it look a little irritated? If you tell the pediatrician, they will give you a cream to use that will clear up the smell and the redness. Also, if you aren't already, yogurt and plenty of water help as well.
    I have to wash my daughter's vaginal area daily (I found wipes weren't really helping) and then use the cream at least once a week (because the daily washing can make it dry).
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mine gets it too, has ever sine she was a year and a half or so. She gets bathed properly and everything, so we asked her ped and she said some kids just have a stronger smell, just like some adults. My dd also sweats a lot and gets strong b.o. at 2 years old. As long as it doesn't smell foul, it should be okay, but you could always ask a doc if it doesn't clear up.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My DD is 27 months and had the same problem a couple months ago. i was nervous so i called her pediatrician. They told me to giv her bathes ( no bubbles soap NOTHING ) 3 times a day fo 3 days. If it wasnt gone to cal them back. i never had to call them back so i guess it worked. she basically sat and played in water for 15 minutes each time and i dried her real well after
    ae0smith

Answer by ae0smith at 10:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2009