toddler with vaginal odor

Is it normal, while potty training, for my 2.5 year old daughter to have vaginal odor? Could it be from her not wiping properly or could it be something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• probably she's not wiping well enough, does she do it alone or do you help her? maybe go to the doctor to find out for sure.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It could be anything from not wiping properly to a yeast infection. My daughter used to get yeast infections quite a bit. We switched to the wet wipes for toddlers instead of toilet paper and stayed away from bubble baths as those can cause yeast infections.
    luckcharm

Answer by luckcharm at 2:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yeast infections are common in potty training and not wiping properly. My 5 year old still gets them frequently. If you notice her "digging" at herself, and redness, get some monistat cream and rub it on her. No, I'm not a doctor, but this is what my pediatrician has always told me to do.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• with little girls it could be all kinds of things help her wipe and no bubble baths or even sits baths she needs to shower because it is cleaner and will help prevent female problems later as well
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 4:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• everything above is right . also try not using sented items that can be a problem also.
    crazymom412

Answer by crazymom412 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It is most likely from not wiping well enough. Even my 5 year old grand daughter did not wipe as well as she should and I could smell the odor, even with her clothes on!!! Most 2 1/2 year olds will definitely need help wiping for a while. Girls that young just aren't capable of getting themselves dry and clean enough. We use wet wipes and I taught her to wipe front to back - very important so as not to spread germs. But, even at age 5, my granddaughter had to be checked every time she went potty. So, if your daughter is only 2 1/2 - you're going to need to continue helping make sure she gets clean. If she's into "doing it herself" maybe she can do the first wipe and you do the second wipe. She's not old enough for this entire responsibilty just yet. Try this for several days and see if it makes a difference in the odor (I bet it will) - if not - then she may have an infection of some type. God Bless You!!
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 4:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• There are normal, healthy vaginal oders and there are unhealthy ones...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree with all of the above. However, is it herself, or her pee??? Cause for a while, my daughters pee reeked and was sooo musky like. I asked the dr. and it was from what she was eating. There are two diff things here. Either her pee, or her peepee!! :)
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 10:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009