Why do teens think we owe them the world.

Why do teens these days think we owe them the world. I did not have a car till I was 19 in which I bought for myself. When I wanted a pair of designer jeans I had to babysit to get the money to buy them. My step son recently told my husband that he should buy him a car because he was his only son. Of course my husband told him that we would help him but he had to get a job save half and have the money for gas and insurance. Now he is mad at his dad. Why are teens so lazy these days, I started working at 14 and have worked ever since until my recent lay off. Thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No clue. I was the same. Worked at 14, bought my own car from my own money I made with my own job at 19. Had my own apartment by 23. My 10 year old son, thinks I "owe" him everything. Demands that I buy him games, clothes, playstation and xbox. He's crazy. I laugh at him every time and tell him to get a job. He gets mad at me, I tell him to get over it.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Why do certain people also think we owe them the world? Its like why do SOME of the people on assistance continue to have kids on it so their checks get bigger and not work? IF your having the kids you need to support them yourself!!! (I understand things happen and having one child on it is okay but GO WORK! and get on BC so you can't abuse the system)
    Anonymous

• I'ts my own fault l.o.l.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Reading this question just brings to mind the old saying " We spend the first 18 months teaching our children they are God, then spend the next 18 years teaching them they are not God". Really it does make since; since for the first 18 months ( approximately ) we do everything for them its no wonder we have to spend so long teaching them to do for themselves, us as humans are not really the fastest learners. LOL I think that's actually pretty normal and as we grow up we tend to not remember the things we did to our own parents as well as we think we do or in the same way our parents remember it.

lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 7:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I guess it's because we allow it and then, when they get too demanding and still expect it, we start asking ourselves, "What happened?" Need I say, if you can't make them see that the sun doesn't set and rise on them, well, get some guts and let them get over it! You need to make them appreciate the things you do for them, instead of letting them make your life miserable. I have 1 daughter and 5 sons and I decided a long time ago, they were on this earth to learn to be independent..so that's what I taught them. Good luck!!!
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 9:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've often wondered the same thing. I really try to teach my kids the value of a dollar and I hope I am doing the right thing. They have to do chores to get cell phones. Save their money for upgrades on Xbox live, etc. Even if I have the money just laying around, I still make them work for it. They never expect to be handed anything. They already know that in a few years when they start to drive I will not be just buying them a car. I was raised that way and have a very good work ethic. I want them to be the same. I see too many kids who are demanding of their parents and mine just look at me like, "Can you believe they just said that to their mom?" I think I did something right!
    Anonymous

• We have a 14 year old in the house too. He is a diabetic and though he doses his own medicine out and checks his own blood, he is extremely irresponsible. He will often mismanage it and twice he has ended up in the hospital because of it. DH and I have said to him that he will not get a car till he is 18. He is not responsible enough with his health and we can't trust him to have a car. He can get his license but he won't be driving.

We are lucky in the aspect that he doesn't act snotty to us. I think it's because he knows he will get his butt spanked if he ever spoke to us that way. Same thing goes for my 8 year old. I stay on the boys about all the little things so when the big problems come up they usually handle themselves. But when teens act like you owe them the world it's because they feel they are entitled to it. You need to let him know he's not.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2009