Why do teens think we owe them the world?

Why do teens these days think we owe them the world. I did not have a car till I was 19 in which I bought for myself. When I wanted a pair of designer jeans I had to babysit to get the money to buy them. My step son recently told my husband that he should buy him a car because he was his only son. Of course my husband told him that we would help him but he had to get a job save half and have the money for gas and insurance. Now he is mad at his dad. Why are teens so lazy these days, I started working at 14 and have worked ever since until my recent lay off. Thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Heh heh. Know who first asked that question...or something very similar?

Socrates!

Kids have ALWAYS thought we owe them the world!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Really how funny. Hmmm see things have not changed in a million years.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I would say he probably expects it because friends/peers get what they want, I mean, he obviously did not learn it from you guys, right?
    Anonymous

• No he did not learn it from us. He lives with his mom who has champagne taste and has two older brothers from his mothers first marriage who's father is wealthy. As well as all his friends were given cars, gas, insurance , cell phones... We just cant do it because we don't make that kind of money. We just dont know how to get him to understand that we are the working class that has to work hard for everything.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's the way kids today are being raised. Parents give in too easily. Give their kids whatever they want. Don't hold their kids accountable for their actions. Don't make them do chores or have them get a job when they are old enough so they can learn some work ethic. Parents don't teach their children anymore the value of a dollar and working hard for what they need and want. Most parents today would rather be their child's "friend" than be a real parent. No one spanks their kids anymore or grounds them. There's no discipline anymore. That's why today's kids and teenagers think they are OWED something.
    Anonymous

• Because so many parents these days think they have to be their child's best friend. They give into them so their children will like them. They don't want to discipline them. They don't teach them values or morals. So of course the children think they can (and should) have anything they want. I'm amazed at some of the types of parents I come into contact with through my children.

I could go on and on, but anon above me said most of what I would have said.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• bc we allow them to think that. I still treat my teen grandkids like I treated my children when they were teens. Nowadays and what other families give their kids is not my business but what I teach my own family is. These folks are not doing their kids a favor by giving them everything material and not teaching them good values and responsibility. Kudos to your husband. Stick to that. Your son will respect you for it when he's older.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009