What's the longest people can be on Public Assistance?

Thank you anon poster for the correction. I'm posting the question again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It varies state to state. There are guidlines and so forth to be followed once you receive benefits in order to continue receiving them, as the system has been abused for so long by people who have chosen assitance as a way of life, or think of it as a career opportunity (one of my inlaws, lol). Assistance is a hand UP, not a hand OUT, and should be treated as such. Sorry about the soapbox, and I was not making an inference to your situation in the least, just an observation from an old lady, lol.
    crystees_mom

Answer by crystees_mom at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, i know for WIC they kick you off once your child turns 5. Medicaid kicks you off once you turn 21, unless youre pregnant. As for other types of assistance such as welfare, I have no idea.. Im pretty sure that varies state to state.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends of what kind, and what state. Pregnancy-related Medicaid covers Mom during pregnancy, and the baby for the first year of life. After that, you have to reapply under regular Medicaid. Welfare for new mothers is allowed for the first year of the child's life. After that, they want you to get a job. Food stamps cover until you make too much money. If you are disabled, there is no time limit as long as you meet guidelines.

(FYI, this is where I live, it is different in other states,)

There is WIC, food stamps, HUD housing, Medicaid, and other welfare benefits out there. There are programs to cover utility bills. Some people can eligible for all of them, some only some things. It really depends.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It depends. Some places are 3 yrs (Ohio). I know some are 5 years. If you are disabled, and drawing SSI because you didn't have enough work quarters for full disability they won't kick you off unless you surpass the income guidelines.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009