Anyone else have kids that don't need a lot of sleep?

My older son completely stopped taking naps around 2 years old. He only needs about 6-8 hours of sleep a night and he is good to go for an entire day. Now my 6 month old is starting to do the same thing my older one did. He used to take 3 naps a day, two for about an hour and one that was 2 hours or more. Now he has been transitioning to one 1 hour nap a day, maybe he will take a nap in the evening but that one doesn't last longer than 15-30 minutes. At night he will sleep through the night, but he will only need 8 hours.
My friends' kids and my nieces and nephews (all about the same age as mine) all sleep so much more than this. These kids sleep 9-10 hours at night and take at least one 2 hour nap during the day. That is about 12 hours of sleep a day! I could only dream of my kids sleeping that long! So I rarely get time to relax while the kids are sleeping since I got to go to sleep as soon as they do or else I don't sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd doesnt sleep much, never has. I try hard to squeeze in a extra hour or two for her here and there. But you cant FORCE a child to sleep. She just lays in the bed and plays....

I asked the Dr about it once, and he said to just give her the opportunity for sleep and she will get what she needs on her own, her body knows.

Its exhausting for us moms though, She usually goes to bed around 8 or so and wakes up at 5....no nap. She has done that since she was 2. All my friends kids sleep more than her.
    Anonymous

• Yes and its making me nuts. My DS2 will not fall asleep at night, he is up most nights until anywhere from 9:30-10:30....last night he was up until 11:00! No matter what time he goes to bed he always wakes between 7-8am and is just fine. He does still nap during the day for about 2 hours...but the nights are really killing our alone time. I end up wasting most of every night from about 8:30 on doing anything I can think of to get the kid to sleep and then I get super frustrated. I feel like its wrong to just let him be up so late though, I don't know what to do!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter will sleep anywhere from 10 to 12 hours per night with a 1 or 2 hour nap during the day depending on what we did during the day. She's two and a half. I think I'd put my head through a wall if she didn't sleep as much as I do!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My child doesnt sleep but for 2-3 hrs a day! I know how exausting this can be.And i feel you!
    Melissa303

Answer by Melissa303 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my ds1 sleeps from about 9-10 until 6 am! no naps nothing, been that way since he was 2.. but if he has had a super busy day he will crash on the couch, no scheduled time jsut fall asleep where he lies! its really frusterating!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yep! I have 3 of them actually!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• OP here both my boys will not sleep until after 10:30 at night. On an average night they will be asleep between 11 and 12 am. Then by 7 at the latest 8am they will be awake. If either one falls asleep before 10pm then it will just be a nap, they will be up around midnight and cannot fall asleep unitl 3 or 4am!! Everytime this happens I keep all the lights off in the house and they are required to stay in bed, 2am is not playtime. But it still doesn't do any good they are full of energy cause they took a nice nap. I have learned that if they fall asleep before 10pm I have to wake them up and force them to stay awake or else no one will be sleeping that night.

Anonymous

• continued

I am run ragged, soooo exhausted because unlike them I need 9 hours of sleep to feel good. My husband and my dad both can live off of 5 hours of sleep a night (all the time, not just occasionally) and feel great. So I am convinced that it is heredity.

Anonymous

• My ds used to be like that. He stopped taking naps at 2 and would go to bed at 10pm and be up at 7am. As he got older he started needing a little more sleep. We gradually started putting him to bed earlier and earlier. Now he's 4 and goes to bed between 8:30 and 9 pm and up at 7am. He can go and go all day, and even if it's been a busy day he still won't go to bed before 8:30.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My brother did that. To this day, he doesn't need more than 5 hours of sleep a day. It about drove my mother batty but every kid is truly different.

As long as yours don't act like brats in the evening, as long as they don't get that "bouncing off the wall" feeling in the afternoon, don't have dark circles and bags under their eyes, then they are getting the right amount of sleep for them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009