• In the Spotlight:

How well do those baby sling carriers/wraps work?

I would like to purchase a sling carrier to use for the new baby, but am unsure if they are really safe or worth the money. There are so many kinds and I don't know what to choose. What different types have people tried out?

hrt_0928

Asked by hrt_0928 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly didn't like the sling/wrap carrier. It was an Infantino one. We spent $20 on it and never ever used it. I donated it awhile back because it was taking up space.

What we *do* use though, is a Snugli baby carrier. It's like the BabyBjorn. I absolutely love it. My daughter is almost too heavy for it now, but it was a lifesaver when she was really little.

I didn't like the wrap because I felt that my daughter couldn't breathe. She's always liked looking at the world around her anyway, and in the wrap she couldn't do it too well.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I used a gypsy wrap and a snugli. The gypsy wrap worked really well when she was a tiny newborn. I had to wear her non-stop and she liked being right up against me. The snugli works now that she'sa bit older and can stare out at stuff. We took her to Target in it and she was perfectly quiet, just looking around in awe of everything. She's a perfect angel when she's being worn.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have an Infantino baby carrier. It works really well. My daughter is a year old and we STILL use it on a daily basis. I didn't like the Snuggli and neither did my daughter.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They work so well for us that we have a 20 month old who has been in a stoller as many times as I can count on 1 hand.

Our daughter has been slinged/wrapped and carried since the day she was born, and is still carried to this day (she's 30lbs).

We use ring slings, wraps, and a Patapum front and back carrier - I reccomend all.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I had a sling and LOVED it.
    This website has some great "how-to" instruction pages that might help you feel better about safety:
    www.slinglings.com
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i had the infantino carrier too and i didn't use it at all. it was just too many straps and buckles for me. but i made myself a wrap nd i love it!
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 4:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I loved my hot sling when my DS was under 3 months. It was life saver since he always wannted to be held. It worked great for walking him to sleep in those early days.

Currently I love my Babyhawk but a snugli or Ergo work just as well. It great for areas where a stroller won't fit or the terrain is too rough or DS simply wants to be held and we are on the go (i.e. trip to the muesum)
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They're absolutely safe. I just HATED those crappy, uncomfortable one size fits all carriers. I liked the wrap and slings more, but slings are easier and more compact than wraps. I have a hotsling now. But ringslings are good for everyone. Be careful not to get one with too much padding. A GOOD FIT IS EVERYTHING!! SO MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE RIGHT SIZE FOR YOU!
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I had a hoppediz wrap for my third - got it when she was 5weeks and I still wear her (she'll be 3 in August)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

it is a bit hot in the summer, but its so much easier than a snugli (had those too for the first two and hated them) and the stroller.

we have done hiking in summer and winter with baby wrapped up - under my jacket she was toasty warm.

its also wonderful for gas! they're up against your tummy and your movement helps to move baby in a way that the gas goes away (she was a gassy baby )

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I couldn't figure out how to make my ring sling work. baby bijorn is bad for baby's hips and your back. My fav is a Moby Wrap! here is the website I bought it at http://foxdenlane.com/ and here is a code to get 8% off .... save8
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009