Positive Strep B test

I tested positive for the Strep B virus. Has anyone else tested positive too? What did they do? My doctors said that I will have an IV during labor and delivery and that there is a 1 in 200 chance my daughter get contract meningitis.

stepmom2boys407

Asked by stepmom2boys407 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was positive with my first and its not a big deal they will just hook you up to an iv and try to give you at least 2 rounds of meds before you deliver.
    Anonymous

• There was a post about this yesterday, you should go back and read the answers there.... You will have an IV in labor and as soon as you get to the hospital and are admitted they will run a bag of the anti-biotic over the course of about 1/2 hour. Then every 4 hours til you deliver they will give you another bag of it. They like to at least get two bags in you but if they can only get one, your baby will be fine. I was type B positive twice and only got one bag of meds both times due to quick labors and they both turned out fine
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• apparently its pretty common something ilke one in four women have it and dont even know about it. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I tested positive too. I was worried I wouldn't get enough of the IV anibiotics before my son was born, so I called and asked them when to come in, then they said "when your contractions are about 5 mins apart," so I got there, wasn't very dilated so they almost didn't admit me and barely got one bag in before my son was born, so if you want to be sure you get enough, go early! Everything ended up being just fine with my son, but not a big deal. I was worried for nothing, just a safety precaution to get as much as you can before the baby is born.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I did with my second child. Its really common.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 3:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thank You. I feel better about the situation. I really wanted to labor at home, but I will do anything to make sure my baby is healthy..
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2009