• In the Spotlight:

weight gain & woking out?

I got on the scales this morning and had gained 4 pounds! I go to the gym about 4 times a week and do 30 minute cardio and weight machines for 20-30 minutes. And do a zumba (dance) class twice a week. I know people say you gain weight from muscle but how much? This is so discouraging! No, I don't really watch what I eat but I haven't since i started working out in Jan. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• that is pretty normal. your best bet it to measure inches lost for the first few months.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You don't watch what you eat, so chances are that what you eat is causing you to gain weight.
    You definitely need to change the way you eat, not just for yourself, but to set a great example for your child.
    First, drink your water! At least 8 8oz glasses a day. Add a glass for every beverage you have with caffeine or alcohol
    Next, eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Start replacing your white/simple grains (white rice, white pasta, white bread, you get the picture) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc.).
    Now cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Eat at least one serving of legumes a day: beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Eating healthy, combined with the great exercise that you are doing, will have you at a healthy weight in no time.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I find that if I do too much working out that it makes me really hungry and I over eat so I have to watch what I eat during those times. I think with you it may be muscle mass build up and if so it shouldn't take long for the heavier muscle mass to burn up the fat and reduce the scale numbers. Once the mean muscle mass monster starts eating up the fat then you will start seeing major results. Just hang in there.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Muscle weighs three times more than fat, but you'd have to be lifting some serious weight and probably using steroids to pack on 4 pounds of muscle mass so quickly. It's very possible that at least part of your weight gain is water. We women can see massive weight fluctuations due to water weight gain, and the foods you eat can contribute to this enormously. Salty and starchy foods will cause your body to retain more fluids, which is one of the reasons why people see such dramatic, immediate decreases in weight when they start a low-carb diet. To determine if it's your diet you can try eliminating bread, cereals, pasta, etc. for a day or two and weigh yourself again... preferrably at the same time every day. I bet you see a drop in weight (and you may even feel better).
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 2:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009