what is the difference in lutheran/methodist/assembly of god?

ok so my dads side of the family...lutherans, uncles a pastor etc etc..moms side has a few methodists.....and some assembly of god ppl thrown in.

what is the difference inthese denominations?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lutheran I know very little except what my sr high Sunday school teacher told me (he was an ex-Lutheran), and he said they were very very close to Catholic. I grew up in a United Methodist church, and everything there was very scheduled (sing 3 songs, 20 minute sermon). Literally it was a Method. Also you do not mention the blood in that church (may just be that one church, but most retired their hymnals that had the word blood in them). AOG is interesting. I ended up there when I left the Methodist church. They believe in laying on of hands, hands upraised in worship, tongues, and take the Bible as a whole. Services vary in length. I have been there 1 hour, and I have been there close to 3 (and honestly didn't notice the time).
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Methodist: Methodism was founded on the principles of John Wesley and Charles Wesley, also known as followers of wesleyanism. Wesleyanism is basically following in the doctrines created by Charles Wesley. It seeks to establish justification by faith as the gateway to sanctification or "scriptural holiness."

Lutheran: Lutheranism is based on the principles and teachings of Martin Luther. Martin Luther was the Scriptures contain the one necessary guide to truth, and it is the right of the individual to reach God through them with responsibility to God alone; salvation comes through faith alone, available to humanity through the redeeming work of Christ; and the sacraments are valid only as aids to faith.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ok. honestly looking at my lutheran family...and the methodist..the methodists are just kinda their ehh. the lutherans in my family re very devout though.....they have strict rules, grandma attends church multiple times a week, reads the bible daily, refuses to swear, drink, smoke, have sex et cetc. because they are not holy actions and she intends to stay pure.

yet she told me i was her favorite in the family even though i dont attend church hah. i always found that amusing..my cousins attend weekly. hell their dad is a pastor,a ttend gible study etc etc. here i am the one wtih tatoo's and piercings and i listen to death metal and she tells me im the one she feels is closer to god. ahhhh love my grandma. she is a very good example of what i think a good "god" believing person is..she is strict but she does not judge others based on their beliefs,only their actions and heart. good woman right their
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009