Does your teen have a job?

My 17 yr ss was fired because he did not show up on scheduled days. He said he did not have the right phone number. We think that is BS. With that said we asked him if he was going to look for another job and he said no that he was a kid and he should be able to enjoy his summer. Hmmm then he continues to ask for things. We say no you need to get a job. Does your teen have a job?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My sons worked from the time they were 14. There were restrictions on the hours and the amount that they were allowed to work, because of their age. They worked as bag boys. We'd told them if they wanted cars they'd have to buy and maintain them themselves, and they did. At 17 your son should be making money toward some or all of his expenses as well as contributing to household funds and working around the house. In my humble opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Now that summer is here I told my 16 yo son if he wants money he needs a job! The last 2 years he has worked with DH, but been able to get away with "but Dad I want to....." and DH didn't make him go to work, then he would give him money to play! Just today they informed me that DS will be working full time with DH this summer and I informed them that if it starts getting like the last 2 years he will NOT be getting any cash or extras from us. DH is so enabling him saying he just wants him to have fun, but I think he needs the responsibility lesson.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My 13 (almost 14) year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter, and has been sitting regularly (for 4 different families) for over a year (she charges $7 an hour). She is also volunteering at a day camp, and going to overnight camp for 4 weeks.
    An idle teen is dangerous and I would not allow one in my house.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2009