Help Asthma medications!

My daughter is getting ready to start the Pulmicort Flexhaler daily the package says it is for 6 years and up but my docotr prescribed it to my 3 year old??? She has a coughing type of asthma worsenes with excercise and at night. We had it undercontrol with Singulair but it had the bad side effect of Severe agression. Also do you use the Pulmicort Flexhaler with or without the spacer I have heard both said. Please help she starts the med in a couple of days once the SIngulair is out of her system.

jhoover95

Asked by jhoover95 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I haven't heard of that one. My son has the same issue with his coughing and he takes Flovent.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son has been on pulmicort for four years excluding the summer/ begining of fall season. all inhalers usually give that warning due to their so young, they might not inhale it correctly. my sister had her son on singular for years before switching to pulmicort. I have had awesome outcomes from that medication. my sons is also allergy induced, dust, cats, dogs. the 1st yr didnt see that much of a difference but since then unless he has a severe allergy, which only has happend 2 times, he never needs albuterol or anything. this past year we actually stopped all meds until January when he got a really bad chest cold and albuterol never helped we went on the pulmi for another 5 months. his asthma has totally disapeared from physical activity and only happens when really sick and allergies. it has totally changed his life. in the beg. of his asthma he was hospitalized numerous times, being admitted 7 + days at a time
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I dont know about the spacer but we started using the liquid pulmicort with the nebulizer, it only takes not even 10 minutes and he is gauranteed to get all the medication. I personally think the neb works better. Ive had asthma all my life and when I have a huge attack, Im going to feel better by the machine. from all Ive read about pulmi vs singu.. pulmi is for pediatric use mostly with the goal of eventually being free of all medications as sing. is something you use for life. thats why how I made the choice. Ive recently met someone, an adult that has suffered forever and just started the pulmi. but she has to take it year round and we only take it seasonal. well I widh you luck, just thought Id share my use of the med. oh yah only side effect he had was it changed his BM.. he would go always at night before bed after taking the meds. but now hes been off for a few weeks and is back going whenever...
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My sons are on Pulmicort, but with the nebulizer. I asked about an inhaler for my 3 year old, but our pediatrician said it's difficult for a 3 year old to use an inhaler, even more difficult for one with developmental delays.

Both of my boys get aggressive when they first start it (we can ween them off at times) until it's fully in their system...and it affects my 3 year old worse than the 2 year old. (just something to watch for)

The spacer will help the medicine get in deeper, and not just in the back of her throat.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You should really get the spacer, it really helps get the meds into the child and not just hit her throat. No 3 yr old should be using an inhaler by themselves to begin with. I have used inhalers with kids as young as 18 months and the spacer is a HUGE help. The nebulizer is a good option, if the child will sit still for the treatment. Be ware though, whomever is giving the nebulizer can get part of the treatment along with the child and will have the shakes. I have asthma so I had no issues with getting part of the treatments when I was giving them to toddlers. But on others without asthma, it could be harmful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If you are not comfortable with the doctor's treatment, then definitely take your daughter to another doctor.
    I have a similar sounding form of asthma; it is definitely worse in the spring and the fall. When I eliminate dairy, my symptoms definitely decrease.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My son has asthma and has been diagnosed since about 6 months old he's almost 6 years old...he's been on Albuterol inhaler and nebulizer...he worsens with the cold and flu season and running....he's on a daily med called Flovent...was on Singulair...If you have concerns about the medication you need to get her in to see the doctor about a different medication or different dosage. You have a right to get a second opinion about your daughters' medical care/medication
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yikes, 3 years old is way too young for the Pulmicort Flexhaler. My seven year old son began that when he was about 6 1/2 years old. It's definitely better to use the pulmicort respules through the nebulizer for a child this age. My son was diagnosed with asthma at 2 years old. The pulmicort is a maintenance med for asthma. Xopenex, like albuterol, is for when your child begins to cough/wheeze (fast acting). I prefer the xopenex...albuterol made my son hyper. Xopenex can also be used through the nebulizer. There is no way a 3 year old should be using an inhaler, even with a spacer. My son is also on singulair and has been for over 3 years now. His asthma is under control but tends to get worse in the winter. We use the pulmicort 3x a day and xopenex every 4 hours when his asthma is acting up. If you can find a pediatric pulmonologist near you, please take your child there. Hope this helps.
    soccermom2boyz

Answer by soccermom2boyz at 12:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009