I know homosexuality is acceptable now . . .

But was there ever a time in your life when you felt like it was wrong, or taboo?

Does the general acceptance of society influence you to open your mind?

Especially those of you who are older, did you think about things different when you were young and it wasn't so socially acceptable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anon: you didn't need to go there.

When I was growing up and in HS it was considered taboo. Most gay people stayed in the closet. One day we saw two girls making out at school and it was a HUGE deal. Everyone was shocked. Things have changed a lot, now. It is cool for girls to kiss now, guys will beg girls to do it and girls will do it even if they aren't gay, LOL. There are now clubs for gay students on campus and there is a sense of awareness and support for the gay students who are able to come out publicly.

I personally was shocked seeing those girls kiss. But at the same time I grew up around gay people. My mom owned a hair shop and Fred worked there : ) I love Fred. He was so funny and all his clients were gay too, or transexual. So I have always known and loved gay people, but things were different when I was in high school. Kids couldn't just "come out." (I graduated in 95).

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Nope. My parents never told me it was wrong or right. Even when I was a child, I thought it was silly to hate same-sex couples. I always saw it as a natural thing. I dunno, maybe I'm weird.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My pastor told me it was wrong in religion class and I stood up and disagreed (I was 10), I didn't understand why we were allowed to hate people.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was raised that homosexuality is WRONG. But I feel it is the people's choice. As far as my personal feelings on it I don't care really. If you want to marry someone of the same gender that's your perogative. I know what the bible says and I KNOW the gay people know what it says. So they are making an educatied decision, there will be no oh I didn't know it was wrong. No love isn't wrong and the only reason God says that homosexuality is wrong is because two peopleo f the same gender CANNOT procreate. That's it, it's never wrong to love. So as a christian do I feel they will go to hell, I don't know. I will not condemn them because I am a human and just as sinful as any mass murderer. Just because I believe doesn't make me any better then anyone else.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not agreeing with someone does not equal hate, ignorance , having a close mind or anything else other than a difference of opinion. If I like a work of art & you don't, does that mean that you hate the artist? Does that make you ignorant or closed minded? No... you just have a different opinion than I have. Political correctness has gone way to far... there's not as much hate in our country as people would like to think... just different opinions.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When I was young I was walking in downtown with my mom. There were two men holding hands walking in front of us. I asked my mom why they were holding hands, and she replied that sometimes two men can love each other just as she and my dad did. Made sense to me then and still does.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I also believe that homosexually is a choice. We are all faced by temptation, but some of us are better at self control and turning away from evil temptations.... I liken Homosexuality to drug addiction or bestiality. Neither of the former are PC at the moment..... but it is basically the same perverted lack of self control that drives the desire to drug yourself up, or to love up on your neighbor's cow.

Homosexuality is wrong.... it is a choice.

Anonymous

• I was raised in a strict Catholic family, I never believed it was wrong. I have always believed that you love who you love, even when my family and the church were teliing me different.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Both my parents are homophobics. But i never shared that feeling with them. I'm not a follower of anyone, I'm a follower of my own heart. Society has nothing to do with how/what i believe is OK & what is not. My mother on the other hand will argue till the cows come home that homosexuality is "not natural"........even though more people are ok w/ it now, no one will EVER change her mind on that.

So personally, the general acceptance of society has nothing to do w/ my personal opinion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• "

I also believe that homosexually is a choice. We are all faced by temptation, but some of us are better at self control and turning away from evil temptations.... I liken Homosexuality to drug addiction or bestiality. Neither of the former are PC at the moment..... but it is basically the same perverted lack of self control that drives the desire to drug yourself up, or to love up on your neighbor's cow.

Homosexuality is wrong.... it is a choice."
    ---------------
    This sounds suspiciously like hate and intolerance Blessedmommy.
    You people spew it but it is not called hate and intolerance right?
    Anonymous