Would you let your child's friends come over again after he stole something?

I don't know how to get my 8 year old son to want to stop playing with this boy. He came over last week and took my son's ds game. We haven't confronted the boy or his parents but the game was on the coffee table when we left to take the boy home. When we got back, everything else but the game was there. He asked my son if he could borrow this game and my son told him no. I searched the ENTIRE house before I wanted to believe the boy took the game. Never found it anywhere. I thought that if we told the boy that nobody could come over until we find the game, that maybe he would conveniently "find" the game. So far, no luck. My son still wants to play with this boy, but I don't want him over here if he's going to take my son's stuff. Do you think I'm right to feel this way? I don't want to have to search the kid before he leaves, just cause my son wants to play with him!

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• absouloutely you have the right if this boy is the same age as your son i think that he should have known better than to take something or his parents should correct him if he does but you should try talking to the mother and come out and tell her your son was over my sons house and we think he may have borrowed my sons game we would apperciate it if you could look and let us know . that is what i would do and i would sit down with my son and explain why stuff like that is unacceptable and how its bad . if he did take it tho i wouldnt let him in my house again . You see my mom used to tell me that if the kids are gonna steal you dont need friends like that hunny and try inviting someone else over . so i did just that .
    rainingglass101

Answer by rainingglass101 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Passive aggressiveness with children does not work so well. Confront the boy's parents.
    Anonymous

• OP-I would try that but they are the type that will lie about it also.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If this were happening to my son but years away because hes only almost two I would deff. confront his parents about it. Tell them that your son wants to play with him and be his friend still but you dont know if its a great idea because you work hard to get that stuff for your son and its not his stuff its your sons. Then ask if the parents will look through the boys room for the game and if they find it then take it from there GOODLUCK:)
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 4:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have one kid that comes to the house and he is kind of a trouble maker and try's to get my 5yr old to do WRONG things. So I had a talk with him and so far so good. But stealing is just not something I like at all. I would not allow the child back into my home, but that is just me.
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 4:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was that child once, at about the same age. I got caught at school. Luckily my teacher confronted me privately about it, but I was so ashamed for the rest of that week (that I can remember, it was a while back). I had taken a snoopy eraser from a girl at school and a whole huge container of "friendship" beads from my mother's friend's son, who was my age. My mom was sooo embarrassed. I gave everything back, but when my dad got home that weekend, they talked to me about it. They asked why I had done it, and I explained that I had just wanted those things, and I didn't think about the other person's feelings. My dad and mom both told me then if there was something I wanted that I was to tell them and they would do their best to provide it. Then I had to apologize to both the kids involved.
    Anonymous

• (contintuned from anon from 5:37)

I guess what I am saying is talk to his parents, some kids go through a phase, but get over it pretty quickly. He deserves the chance for someone to tell him he's wrong. Kids don't see it that way exactly. I knew I was wrong, but the pull of wanting it, overrode my senses of right or wrong at that age.
    Anonymous

• NOPE!!!!!!
    ladyluke2007

Answer by ladyluke2007 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I would call the parents and ask if their son accidentally brough it home.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009