Need advice my son is such a picky eater, please any ideas he hardly eats?

he is 2 and a half
he takes a couple bites out of his food and then he doesnt eat?
How do i make him eat more?

derekswifey08

Asked by derekswifey08 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Believe me, he will eat when he gets hungry. It's natural for kids appetites to increase and decrease from time to time. In a month or 6 months, you'll be asking how to slow his appetite down. LOL.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 4:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Is he snacking or drinking throughout the day? If he is, then take those away. Not completely but be very careful about how much snacking and drinking he is having. If a child snacks and drinks all day, they stay full and wont eat their meals. Other than that you could try changing what you give him. Think of foods that are colorful and fun shaped. You caould also change how they are prepared. Like if you always give him canned veggies, try frozen or fresh. Hope this helps! Good lucK!!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Whatever you do - don't push it.
    Don't ever tell him he can't leave until he's finished his food - or try to force him to eat.

Just let him feed himself, and even if that is not much - he will not starve himself.
    Don't make only treat foods - types that he will only eat (like the Mac' N 'cheese kids) - make regular meal - veggies and all and just keep putting it infront of him.

So long as he is not underweight and sick - he is eating enough.

Some people do the "You can have a yogurt/cookie if you eat your food" deal - but that can lead down a bad road, even if it does work.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• He knows how much food he needs. Don't try to force him to eat more. Some things you can do (and should do):
    Have set meal and snack times. 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. If it's not time to eat, no one eats.
    Eat them at the table. No more snacking while playing. If you won't be home for a snack, that's fine - eat it where ever you are.
    Since he eats so little, make every bite count. No more than 1 oreo cookie worth of junk each day. Switch to healthier choices where you can - did you know there is a whole wheat version of Goldfish?
    Have one thing at each meal that you know he will eat. Vary which food group that is during the week.
    Teach him it's ok to say "No thank you" if he doesn't want something. Trying to force him to eat something will make him refuse new things outright. He is in the middle of the "NO NEW THINGS" phase - just keep eating them in front of him. He'll ask to try them eventually.

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When he does try something, praise him for trying - even if he spits it out. Just say "I'm so proud of you for trying that!" and move on.
    Never say "See? Isn't that good?" Do you like to be told "I told you so"? Of course not. Neither does he. He may very well refuse to eat whatever it was simply because you "told him so". My daughter did this to me with chocolate pudding. She still won't eat it simply because I said that dreaded phrase - "See? Isn't that yummy?"
    If he refuses to eat anything, assume he's not hungry. Let him wait until the next meal. Even if it's breakfast. Don't beg, plead, or threathen. Just encourage him to stay at the table so you can enjoy his company. But don't force him to stay there.
    If he does eat something, let him be. Don't comment beyond a simple "If you want more of something, just let me know".

He'll get there. It just takes time - lots of time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Oh yes - and I agree with ladysavage... do not bribe. Do not teach him that peas are soooooo bad that the are only worth eating if he gets a cookie.

And limit milk to no more than 24 ounces a day (3 small sippy cups worth). Feel free to give him his milk only at snacks instead of meals or only half-way through the meal. Many kids will guzzle the milk and then have no room for food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My Kiddo went off of anything green. He makes a just funny face at it. I started buying the "Naked" juice in the refrigerated section of the store in the "Green Goodness" variety. It's all natural and tastes good. He doesn't even know he's drinking broccoli, spinach, kelp, and wheat grass.

I also give him a yogurt/milk smoothie as his evening snack, or some sugar-free carnation instant breakfast in the morning, to insure he's getting good nutrition.

My Ped is behind these ideas 100% and now suggests them to other Moms who's kids might not be getting enough calories and/or veggies every day due to extreme pickiness. He especially liked the green juice idea.

They make carrot and several other natural and fresh-squeezed juice varieties as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2009