A few questions on how things are done these days . . .

First, let me say that I know I'm "just" the grandma, and I trust my daughter completely to make the right choices. She is 21½, and my precious granddaughter is 4 months old.

#1. When should babies start sleeping in their own rooms? For the 1st 2-3 months, my GD slept in her swing, with both parents sleeping on the couches or floor, so they could respond to her every peep. More recently, they have moved her to her Pack&Play in their bedroom. They live in a small house, and I think my DD would hear her from any room! To be honest, I really want my precious GD to start enjoying the $1500 nursery that my husband and I bought . . . but it will grow with her, so she'll still be using it for a very long time!

#2. DD has started giving GD a small amount of apple juice, to try to make her more regular. OK! But why would she even think to mix it in her formula???

This new grandma appreciates your answers!

kmhmom999

Asked by kmhmom999 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She mixes the juice with the formula? I have never heard of that, it's usually half water and half juice. You might want to tell her that apple juice might make her constipated, I think white grape is better.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• #1, my daughter went to her own room at 3 months, when she was too big for her bassinet, however even though i was a first time mom i'd been around infants growing up so was comfortable with that. they may not be b/c the risk of sids doesn't go down for a few more months. you could suggest to your dd that baby sleeps in her crib during the day for naps, that way she can get comfy in that room and they still get some use out of it now. but most kids stay in a crib til they are about 18 months-2 yrs depending on when they start trying to get out, so baby still has plenty of time to get use out of the nursery.
    #2 i don't remember when they suggest giving juice, however i don't believe it was at the 4 month time. i'm assuming she puts it in formula b/c they can't have water yet. however i would also assume that juice in the formula will affect the nutrients. this one to me seems more the thing you should talk to her CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Perhaps your GD is your DD bedroom for convienance. I know that when my DS wakes to feed at night its all about how quickly and easily I can achieve that so I lose as little sleep as possible. Exspecially those nights when teething pain wakes him up frequently. If I had to go to another room everytime on those nights I would be a zombie the next day.

As for your second question, I am not sure I understand you.

But good for you for asking instead of just assuming!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• about. do some research first and figure out what the "standards" are now. and maybe buy her a baby book like what to expect the first year something along those lines, just mention that you read in there they shouldn't have juice til.....whatever time frame it is and then go from there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was a year younger than your daughter when my son was born and I slept on the couch with baby in the pack and play next to me. It just seemed so much easier to me plus a lot of times I would fall asleep in frot of the tv. When he was about 5 months I started putting him in the nursery though 'cause he was sleeping through the night and he could enjoy some of the stuff I had for him in there.
    Why not mix it in with the formula? Apple juice is great for releiving constipation she just has to be careful not to do it too much.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Her not wanting to put baby in her own room may very well be the same reason I didnt untill mine was over a year old. Seperation anxiety-of the mom, not the child. I had a terrible time trying to sleep with my baby in another room....even with a monitor. You just have to either do it and deal with it or just keep the baby with you. No harm either way. As for the apple juice in the formula...I have never heard of that. And at 4 months, she should ask the pedi about giving her juice, it might be too early. There may be other things he can reccomend to keep her regular.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My DD is super-protective of her baby, I'm sure (in part) because of suffering a miscarriage prior to this birth. And she had a close friend who lost her baby to SIDS.

This is DD's first week of being unemployed. The other grandma and I were sharing the daycare responsibilities. I talked with her a few minutes ago, and asked if GD was napping in her own room this week. Answer: "No, it's way too bright in there; she could never go to sleep!" So now I guess Grandma needs to go measure that window for blinds! (I just hope it's not the almost neon-pink color on the walls!

So, will the apple juice make her constipated, or relieve it?? I seem to be getting mixed answers!
    kmhmom999

Answer by kmhmom999 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My sons were in their own bed and in their own room by 5 and 6 months. I never let them sleep in anything other than their bassinet or their crib. Allowing your baby to get used to sleeping in a swing doesn't allow them the chance to learn to sleep properly. Plus if they have spit-up issues this could make it worse.

As for the apple juice in the formula...major No-No. Also, like another poster said, apple juice will help make her more constipated. She need to try pear juice. Gerber has one in the infant section. Half juice and half water should do the trick. (Pear juice is something my son's GI doctor said to do.)
    Anonymous

• She's too young for her own room and juice. My 20 month old DD still sleeps with me. She rarely takes juice. it won't fix anything. Formula is known to constipate babies.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't know about apple juice but when my son got constipated at 31/2- 4 months the doctor did advise me to give DS prune juice to get things going again. Even though juice is not reccomended at this age, he felt it was better then the more complex medical solutions to the problem. It worked too! So maybe that is the case here. Ask her where she got the idea from. If its from a Dr. cool if its from a friend you might want to discourage it. There are alot of old wife's tales out there.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009