Getting 1 year old off bottle.

What's some good tips for getting my one year old off her bottle. She uses sippy cups all day, but when she takes a nap/bedtime she HAS to have her bottle. At the baby-sitters she never uses a bottle. This is our second attempt at totally ending the bottle thing (first attempt failed because my husband gave in when she was crying). I've told him I'm just going to throw them away... so before I do any tips?

liz820

Asked by liz820 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With both of my kids it was more getting ME off the HABIT of giving in to not hear the screams. I had them tell me yes I am a big boy/girl! and then they threw them in the trash. I didn't keep any after that in the house. One night of not great sleep for each but haven't had any problems since. Good luck! (BTW-I threw out the binkies/pacifiers on the same day)
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Maybe you could give her a bottle with just water in it and eventually she will just not want it anymore. That would probably be the best route for you so you can brush her teeth then just give her water. You really dont want her to have any milk and then fall asleep without her teeth brushed, especially at bed time.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• start a new routine. dont give anything while in bed. read her a book with animals in it and let her point it out.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009