how sick do u have to be if your a sahm mom to a child/children under 5

to know u need help.. i have had the flu and i had to have my dh come home from work.. but like right now i have a cold with a bad cough.. my son is two and yes i feel like crap but im dealing with.. how do you know u need help.. if you can get help of course.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• If I simply couldn't take care of the child, then my husband had to stay home. But this only happened maybe twice- once my legs were so wobbly that I couldn't even stand up and had to crawl to the bathroom to be sick, and the other I had a bad stomach virus and couldn't walk upright or do other than reside in the bathroom.

Answer by Bmat at 5:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i've not been able to do it a few times, once when i had a really bad virus and spent the whole day in the bathroom (i was also 7 months preg w/number 2 at the time) and the other time i had a migraine that was awful and couldn't even listen to her talk with out throwing up. so both times my friend came over (hubby is navy no option to call in sick to work) and picked up my daughter to go play with her kids for the day.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The only time I was sick enough to not be able to care for my daughter was when I had surgery. It was just the day after, but I was on meds and sleeping alot. Fortunantly I havent been sick enough for hubby to stay home other than that.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I guess you know you need help when you realize you fell asleep on the job or are to uncomfortable to move. I feel your pain every period. I have trouble walking when on it and feel so miserable. But every month is just too much help. So I crawl around with DD.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I had the flu once when my daughter was an about 18 mos. Luckily my son who was about 5 was in school, but Dh had to be at work, so I just dealt with it the best I could. I slept on the couch, my mom came to check on me, but my lil sis was sick also, so she couldn't stay. It was awful, but I managed.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It takes a lot for me to call him home from work, but last spring I had to call him home a few times. I have an inner ear disease called Meniere's that was causing hours long vertigo/vomiting attacks. I had these attacks daily for 38 days :-( My mom and brother helped a lot, as they have a much easier time getting off work. My hubby works 2 jobs and has a hard time getting off of both of them. He did come home the day it got so bad I had to call the ambulance for myself. UGH! I found meds that work and I seriously hope I am never, ever that ill again. It was agonizing!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 7:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Only 2 of my kids were under 5 last spring. Forgot to mention that. They were 4 and 2. My oldest was 7. He was home from school when I had to call the ambulance, though :-(
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 7:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• the only time my husband has ever taken off because i was sick was when my gallbladder became so infected i had to have the open surgery and a endoscopic surgery. he was off for 2 weeks (1 of which i was in the hospital) i wasnt allowed to lift anything over 10lbs. for 2 months though so as soon as he got home from work he would help and he came home at lunch since our baby was over 10lbs. otherwise i just deal with sickness, but he is in the army so im kinda used to just dealing with it.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've never gotten help when I was sick. I had tonsillitis once and was in agonizing pain and still took care of the kids. I even had a blinding migraine once. If I moved I felt like I was going to throw up and the everything was spinning. That was the only time I ever called my husband and begged him to come home because I couldn't move off of the couch and the kids needed to be changed and fed. Then I felt bad and called him back and said I'd figure it out. Then I got up and made them dinner and laid back down. My husband came home 2 hours later as scheduled and changed them and put them to bed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have not had DH stay home from work yet but he is gone half the time anyways and I just have to suck it up. I have a now 5 year old that is a big help when I am just not feeling well. But it is rough when you feel horrible and the kids feel great!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009