Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needing govt assistance

So, my fiance has lost his job twice in 60days both with seperate employers, then we got a car reposessed, then his last employer called him back to tell him they over paid him by 500$ and he will not be recieveing his last paycheck and that they throw the time cards away after checks have been handed out so we canot confirm this, that check was our rent. so now to look ahead, were gonna get evicted, no groceries, no health care no help from anyone,which is not expected, now im sitting on my bed crying, contemplating what kind of assistance we can get to help out, i know if i dont have newhere to live, my child might get taken away, which is the last thing i want, ive donated plasma and an donating bone marrow for money, so this does not happen, we CAN NOT recieve unemployment, for personal job related reasons. any ideas? im embarsd 2 get assistance at all but really need something. were putting in 10-22aps a day, no cals bak

Answer Question

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 5:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 3 (23 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I get food stamps and medicaid for my DD I am a college student and my husband works full time and I have never been ashamed. It takes a while to get assistance though you may qualify for emergency assistance you need to contact your local DHS to see. Second they cannot take his paycheck for over paying even if they have proof because it is their mistake. Call them and tell them you have already contacted a lawyer and were told they need to pay you for hours worked now or that you will be taking them to court. Technically you can take them to small claims since is only 500 without a laywer.

    Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 5:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • Not to sound harsh..but its go get assistance or be freakin @$$ed that being said...they can help you with everything from housing to food to what you need to do is go start the app process because itll take hours more than likely and it doesnt get approved that takes AWHILE and you need to start now, while your looking ahead instead of wait until that moment!
    In the also need to call his job and have them PROVE where that money went...thats not fair, and they cant destroy time cards..they have to keep documentation of that somewhere even if its a seperate office that does their payroll..i went through this with a man i worked for...faught it..and job hunting..visit temp agencies..and for the sake of time...try fast food too! a paycheck from them is better than nothing at all

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2009


    Answer by neveragain17 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • If you need the help, go get it. That's what it's there for. Better to receive help than be homeless and hungry.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • By all means get the help you need.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • Do not be embarresed by this. You are 1 of a millions of american families facing things like this especially right now. I would go immediatly to your local public assistance office and see what you qualify for and tell them your circumstances. You have just got to do what you have to do right now. If I knew more I might be able to help you more. You can PM me if you want.

    Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

  • thanx ladies, anyone now how to get ahold of a public assistance office's? or what kind of services the do offer? weve been job serching for about 2 1/2 weeks and rents due the 5th with late fee, not much of any time. so stressed.

    Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 1:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • It is AGAINST the LAW to throw out time cards the next week. Time Card records must be kept on file for YEARS not days! That is BS - you need to contact your State Labor Board.

    Answer by Kristen1010 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.