What needs to be cleaned in the home and how often and with what?

I know to many of you this question will seem baffling, however my mother failed to teach me many things that a woman needs to know in order to maintain a home, and now that we finally have a home I am proud of I want to keep it looking (and smelling) nice. So I am asking, what do you clean daily, weekly, monthly and with what do you do it with. I looked at the base boards today and they were discusting so I used pledge and a napkin and felt like I was wasting napkins, and I have stained concrete floors and can't seem to get them good and clean. Help me please!

mommaleah4

Asked by mommaleah4 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• for the baseboards, use a rag and a bucket of about 1/4 cup bleach and the rest water. when they are dirty dirty use a magic eraser, i do my base boards once a month.
    daily you want to clean the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and just pick up
    weekly you want to vacum (floors, under the couch, under couch cushions), dust, mop, clean bedrooms
    monthly i clean baseboards, walls, scrub floors by hand, and do windows (for the baseboards floors etc.), wash curtains, and wash the shower curtains.
    i use bleach on everything that is bleachable. otherwise i use pledge and windex. as far as smelling nice, it will smell clean as long as its clean, to have fun scents the feebreeze wall plug in is great b/c it has 2 scents and alternates between the two so you don't get used to the smell. i use feebreeze spray on the curtains, couches, and floors.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• oh and for the weekly stuff, break it down throughout the week or do it all in one day if you work. as a SAHM it gives me something to do when the kids are occupied. vacum one day, mop the next, dust the next etc...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• use a soft washcloth or micro cloth with pledge, that's what works the best if you ask me.
    ---weekly ----(or when needed)
    sweep floors
    dust
    mop floors
    scrub tub
    clean out fridge
    ---twice a week---(or when needed)
    laundry
    bathroom
    ---daily---
    kitchen
    dishes
    dinning room
    --- when needed---( LOL I have to do this like 2 times a day)
    living room
    family room
    bedrooms
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 5:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• There is a web site that breaks done the jobs for you. I know it has helped many people. It think it is flylady.com.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• flylady.net, and it taught me how to clean my house and stay motivated. check it out...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Here's a third vote for Flylady! Either Flylady.com or flylady.net will work - they go to the same place.
    It has helped me so much and I've only been doing the program for 3 weeks!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've also heard nice things about Flylady. I haven't used it myself. I have a very hard time keeping up my house. I should try it too.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Oh, ladies thank you soooooo much. vabchmommy, you mentioned washing curtains and shower curtains and that was something I hadn't even thought of. I can't explain how much yall have helped me!!
    mommaleah4

Answer by mommaleah4 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Just a thought I think vabcgmommy has a verrry clean house. You may get overwhelmed if you try to follow all of her advice at once.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• that is why flylady is so great, eventually you may work up to vabdmommy's level but flylady not only encourages you to start slow but constantly reminds you to, my favorite saying of hers (not verbatim) is that it did not get this messy in a day and it will not get cleaned in a day.

with her help I have built a daily routine that keeps the main parts of my home clean and presentable if someone were to knock on the door unexpectedly, and I have also learned some fun methods of decluttering rooms, thus making it easier to keep them clean.

ask my mom, (she's Macy, right above me) I am a very messy person and I truly despise cleaning..right now my house is ready for a visitor aside from the fact that I need to sweep the floors.

and mom, don't give too many details on my messiness, lol...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009