Who has someone with the swine flu at home?

My son is sick and I think the doctor may not be telling me that it is the swine flu because the local news and schools are trying to avoid panic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Health

• I understand how you feel (as moms we can't help but fear the worst) but I think they are taking this flu very serious. If they are not medicating the rest of your family and asking you to stay home I think it may be something else.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Your doctor may be right. There are many many stains of the FLU, so if your child has FLU like syptoms it does not HAVE to be Swine. I would say not to worry to much as long as your doctor is being pro active in treating your childs illness. GOOD LUCK!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 about a month ago. It is truly no worse than a typical winter virus. Doctors are no longer testing for it, as it is so widespread. They are only prescribing the anti-viral meds for high risk patients, as the risk of serious side effects outweigh the (relatively) mild flu symptons.
    Treat this like any other virus: lots of fluids, acetominophen or ibuprofen for aches and fevers, lots of peppermint tea (a natural decongestant), make a cough syrup/throat soother with honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory), Emergen-C are packets of powder that you mix with cold water (loaded with vitamin C, with Bs and zinc for energy). With really bad congestion, you may want to take a benadryl at night and a sudafed (get the real kind, that you have to sign for, but generic is fine) during the day to prevent a sinus infection.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009