what is autism like?

i belong to this forum and i was reading old posts and i guess someone on the forum is autistic and something happened (i dont know what) and he was trying to educate people about autism, and i've taken a couple psychology courses in junior college but i dont know much about this disorder and i would love to be educated with real life stories :]

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 6:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is like being stuck inside your own mind and eventhough you are highly intelligent and know everything about your world you can't get out of your mind.

You so desperately want people to know who you are and you desperately want to be friends with people, but the neurons in your brain fire in different ways and you are unable to appropriately tell people you want to be friends.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 7:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't really know how to describe it. But if you have questions I will answer them. I am 21 and have autism and have received no treatments or therapies for it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ^^ she described it very well.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It can't be described. Not in general. There's a saying, "When you've met one autistic kid, you've met ONE autistic kid".

My son is PDD-NOS. He's intelligent and articulate. He has major problems controlling his impulses, and knows he can't control them which upsets him very much. He can tell you a LOT about any given scientific subject, but he can't tell you the name of the person he met just 5 minutes ago.

He will suddenly start shaking his hands in the air at his shoulders and jumping up and down...for no apparent reason...and he can't stop on his own.

He gets upset if his routine is changed, he has SPD, he has ADHD and he lights up any room into which he walks.

That's what it's like to live with my autistic kid.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It actually depends on the severity of the Autisim.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• There are so many variations that it is impossible to describe well. In general, they have difficulty socializing, difficulty in change in routines, difficulty with sensory issues. But the specifics depend on the severity of the autism, personality of the child, and if there are any co-existing disorders.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The reason why it varies so much is because to say that a child has autism doesnt really explain anything. it's a whole spectrum, hence the term ASD (autisim spectrum disorder). My younger brother has autism and is very high functioning. But he hates being touched, NEVER EVER wears shorts (those are both sensory issues) he's a VERY picky eater (again, another sensory issue). He can talk for hours about something that I have no interest in ...like snakes and how many different species and their habitats and what they eat ect ect. But he doesnt pick up on regular social cues. If i'm introducing him to someone, he makes no conversation. ..and he withdrawls. he HATES change. has a very difficutl time with it.
    I knew these two little boys with ASD. one of them did a lot of echoing. they just repeated whatever they heard but didnt have their own words. ...i could go on but i'm running out of characters. There are groups about ASD.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think the others have said some good points. My son is on the spectrum- he is high functioning. He has sensory issues, he has problems with social interaction, social cues, talking about appropriate things in conversation, he has certain obsession objects that he focuses on, he needs his routine and likes to keep his things 'just so' in a certain order.
    I like to say that Autism is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same. It is a big, broad spectrum and everyone is unique. What my son does, your child may or may not do. For example my cousin's nephew is on the spectrum, he is non-verbal and he stims. My son is very verbal and he does not stim. My son's friend is on the spectrum, he likes to line things up just so, my son does that too.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009