Would you have a home birth? ( No bashing!!!!)

I know many people trust doctors literally with their life but I don't. I dont like my OB and i am trying to get to see a different one but when it comes down to it I would rather stay home and have my baby where i am comfortable and calm. I feel that our bodies were designed to do this but the medical community has convinced us that we need them to deliver our babies. I have many problems with hospitals and Dr.s because they think they know whats best for me but they dont know my body like i do and I am one of those people who doesnt fit the medical normal. I have recently been told that no matter what i have to have an IV to deliver even if there is no fluid running this makes no sense. I have an allergy to the plastics they use in IV's but they insist i have to have one.

So do you think you would have a home birth if everything was normal with your pregnancy?

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm planning a home birth. Go for it! trust your body. Hire a midwife and join the group Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth.
    I also have several links on my journal about things like this if you want to check that out as well. One of the links will take you straight to a page with a list of different books. Congrats momma!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• personally no, I like my doctors, nurses and DRUGS. lol

but I have many friends who have had home births and had wonderful experiences.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I personally would not. It would just freak me out. I would be worried about the possibility of something going wrong and the distance it would take to get to a hospital. But if you are comfortable having your birth at home, then do it. But you should have, at least, a midwife there to help you.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think it's something you should definitely research and educate yourself about fully before making your decision. If that's something you can do girl, you're a hell of a strong woman in my opinion! I only trust the doctors so much because with my past 2 births there was no way I would've survived at home, my 1st with my blood pressure through the roof and my baby having breathing troubles, and my 2nd needing an emergency c-section. I think you should do whatever you are most comfortable with. Good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I personally wouldn't, but have nothing against homebirths. I think a woman should be able to make the choice of how she wants to give birth and be completely comfortable with it. I feel more comfortable with a hospital birth. Also, even if I wanted to have a homebirth, my options would be very limited. I live in one of the 11 states that do not license anyone but CNM's, and they are only allowed to deliver in hospitals under a Dr.'s supervision. It is illegal for a midwife to perform a homebirth here. So, the options are unassisted homebirth, go out of state to be delivered by a midwife outside of a hospital, or use an underground midwife and take on the risks of doing so. I do believe this is ridiculous and women should be allowed to have midwife assisted homebirths here, although its not what I would choose.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't do it. I have known a couple people personally whose babies were in such distress the babies would have died had they not been at the hospital. I would be afraid of all the things that could go wrong. Plus I don't like pain so I wanted lots and lots of drugs. Most hospitals have it now where you can give birth with a midwife in the hospital with no IV's or any medical intervention. Maybe that?? I would never tell another woman what to do though. It is your body, but please at the very least have someone trained in childbirth there with you.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 6:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm training to be a doula right now and I'm reading up on the various places women may chose to give birth. I personally would love to give birth at home! But, it's your decision. If you do, try to see if you can find a midwife. They know if there's an emergency or if anything is going wrong and can tell you when you really need to go to the hospital. It's nice to have someone there that knows what to watch for and knows when and if you need immediate medical attention. I would love to talk to you some more! Please pm me when you get a chance. Oh! One more thing I want to add. You doctor cannot force you to have an iv. Tell him or her you looked into and would rather not and that you will happily sign a paper saying you are denying it. =D
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009