What is Grace?

I have seen that word tossed around on many occasions in various comments or answers and I want to know- what IS grace?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mercy = not getting something we deserve, as in, we deserve hell, but God had mercy and we don't have to go there if we accept his gift.

Grace = getting something we don't deserve, as in , we don't deserve heaven, but God is graceful and gave us heaven as a gift.
    Anonymous

• unmerited or unearned favor (usually given for actions otherwise noted as bad/negative ).
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Grace is: receiving what you don't deserve. ie: we do not deserve God's love and devotion because we have a sinful nature, but in His grace, He gives it to us anyway. (Mercy is: not getting what you do deserve. ie: We deserve punishment and eternal death for our sins, however, because of God's mercy, He has made a way by which we can be saved from what we deserve)

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• So it's not the same as mercy, but on the along the same line? It's confusing...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• they usually go hand-in-hand.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Right... not quite the same as mercy, but along the same line. With grace, we are getting good things that we don't deserve. With mercy, we are not getting the bad things that we do deserve.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• BlessedMommy64,

I had to read your comment like ten times to wrap my mind around it! lol... to me, it seems like the same thing only worded differently. I don't know... *shakes head in bewilderment*
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009