Why does it bother so many Christians when I question their beliefs?

I research religion. I post questions I find that intrique me. I may not like your answer and so I ask another one. Why is that so wrong? Why does it make some of you so bitter and angry when I find information to make you THINK about why you believe the way you do?

It seems as soon as I ask something a person cannot answer or I don't find their response acceptable as an answer, I'm accused of 'baiting'? I am not a sugar-coater nor a huggy bear; I am direct and to the point- which is obviously mistaken as being rude.

Why is it okay for Christians to attack my lack of beliefs, but as soon as I dare post something contrary to what they have faith in, I'm bum-rushed for it? I'm not allowed to bring to attention things in your faith that don't make sense to me? I'm not supposed to have any comments about your religion because I no longer belong to it?

I NEVER have this problem with Pagans, Wiccans or Satanists...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And I completely agree with KelleyP77 - questioning is a good thing, as it strengthens beliefs, and if one is comfortable and confident in what they believe nothing anyone says or asks is going to "ruin" that.
    So IhartU, I don't see you as a trouble maker, and I do quite enjoy answering questions.
    So, no matter what anyone says, don't stop asking!
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Teehee, you said bum-rushed.

I think it's all part of the whole "If you're a TRUE Christian you're not allowed to doubt our faith"-type thing. Not *ALL* Christians are like this, as we both know. But I completely know which ones you're talking about. Just had a tiff with one the other night, and now they're following me around, calling me an ape under the guise of anonymous. Sad.

I think a lot of people don't understand that it's the very nature of what we believe (you as an atheist and me as an agnostic atheist) to question things. You're just braver than I am :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Oh, and I'd like to add...I've never had a Pagan, Muslim, Jewish, or Satanist mom on this website tell me I'm going to whatever their bad afterlife is if I don't follow them. I've only noticed Christian moms doing it.

I dunno what it is.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Why is it ok for you to be upset that some think of you as "rude" yet when someone else is flat out spoken as well only you do not like their response suddenly according to you it is "hate." They are a "hater" lol.Anyway,I concur you absolutely deliberatly post things to get under peoples skin and make yourself feel superior.You pruposely try and trip up people of faith esp. Christians.I think you may do this because you so badly want to believe you are right that God really does not exist therefore you desperately look for reassurence that you are ok.
    Anonymous

• I think it's just because the Christian religion is superior to all other religions, so they are just trying to help you
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 7:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Might be the word of God cait.
    Anonymous

• Not about religion stacey.Only a real relationship with Christ.He is superior
    Anonymous

• Most other religions believe that we are judged based on the good/bad we do in the world, caitxrawks, or in some kind of karmic rule, but not that the condition of our soul is based on which religious affiliation we have. Christianity is the only religion I can say with certainty that there exists such exclusivity and absolutism, the only religion that claims one MUST be a Christian (or religious affiliate) in order to attain spiritual well-being...
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't see that you are some sort of trouble starter. I think it's normal to question. I have. I've researched my beliefs and sometimes have reached different conclusions than others. I get the same type of responses, so I'm actually very curious about the answers to your question as well.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think some of it is because many Christians are taught that questioning their beliefs or having others question them is wrong. 

I also think it is because with Christian teaching comes a certain level of arrogance.  Meaning that they are taught they are the only one true religion....everyone is wrong but them, they are the chosen ones, etc.  I cannot name one non-monotheistic belief that teaches that type of arrogance.

I also think some become uncomfortable with not having all the answers and some even feel guilty because the questions you and others raise cause their own mind to wonder and question. 

It is sad that some are taught educating ones self is a bad thing.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009