I have nits but no bugs, how can I get them gone NOW and for good without having money??

JSVDP

Asked by JSVDP at 12:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I have heard of some using Mayo for removal .. with a nit comb .. I also have had people tell me of Tea Tree Oil ... Comb it with the Nit Comb .. Do it fast, or you will have bugs and it wont take long for them to lay even more eggs ..

If you have NO money ... call your local health dept. They sometimes give people the things needed to get rid of the problem.

Good luck!
    MommyAdvisor

Answer by MommyAdvisor at 12:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• You need to go to a drug store and get a lice shampoo. You will also have to bleach all bedding, clean carpets etc. I don't know of anything you can do for free. You might want to check with your Department of Health.
    mojojojocriner

Answer by mojojojocriner at 12:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Vinegar breaks down the glue of the nits and makes it easier to comb out or use tape to get them off once loosened. For lice, mayonnaise, tea tree oil, or coconut shampoo. Repeat in a week just in case you missed anything.

RID never worked for my kids! No need to bleach, just make sure you wash everything in hot water and dry everything in hot heat.
    Gipsi

Answer by Gipsi at 2:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Cover the head with mayo or olive oil & a plastic cap - leave on for at least 30 minutes Rinse & cover head with towel soaked in white vinegar for 10 minutes to loosen the eggs. Use a lice comb.

For boys get out the clippers.

You do not have to bleach anything. Wash the bedding in hot water & dry the things you can't wash in a hot dryer for 20 minutes. They used to recommend bagging up all toys etc, but current research shows the lice cannot live off the body for more than 3 hours.

If the person is over 12, an easy way to kill the bugs & the eggs is to use a single process hair color.

The best OTC natural product I've ever used is Zero Lice from Thursday's Plantation - around here it cost $20, comes with 2 applications of solution (made of TTO & other essential oils), a plastic cap AND a lice comb.
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• Dye your hair! It will get rid of the nits with one application, guaranteed! Any shade, any brand. As long as it is permanant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2008

• Soak your hair with vinegar. Then wrap your head with a vinegar soaked towel. I leave it on for at least 30 minutes. You'll want to go outside with a comb & remove the towel. The vinegar eats the glue on the nits & they will comb right out.

Pronto Plus makes a furniture spray. Spray all your furniture, carpeting & matresses to kill any remaining bugs.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2008

• I like the idea of vinegar. it is safe and fairly cheap. Tea tree oil works great also,
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 12:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2008

• Bleaching will only destroy your materials. heat is what kills them. hot water and a hot dryer and then if you want to be safe bag them after you wash and dry them. Nits have to be removed with a comb, which was the original question. The problem is a nit on a dropped hair that just happens to be about to hatch, hatches on your pillow then crawls back onto your head at bed time. we have been vaccuming all the bedding and couches.
    28yroldgranny

Answer by 28yroldgranny at 9:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• lemon juice and butter spray on hair and wait how ever long the longer the better wash it out and rub any kind of conditioner in leave in and comb out the come out real good the bugs dont like coconut so use coconut shampoo and conditioner it will help keep the lice problem down
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 3:04 PM on May. 1, 2009