Has anyone used the "Your Baby Can Read" Program?

Was it worth the money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my sister in-law has been using it on her 7 mos. old, he still just as dumb as ever.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't think you have to pay the money to help your baby learn. They learn from interaction and activity. I think the best think that the program offers are the flash cards with the word and picture on them. You could very easily make those at home. Put the word very large on one side and the picture, very colorful on the other. I had a cousin who knew her alphabet before she could walk or speak. She had foam cutouts of each letter, you could ask her to get any letter and she would crawl to it in the bunch and pick it out.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's a scheme to milk money from parents.

It doesn't teach reading. It teaches memorization. They don't learn to spell, they don't learn to sound out words, they learn what a word looks like and they will have nothing but trouble when they start school and have to start REALLY learning to read.

Besides...if a kid can't freakin' talk, how the heck do you know it's "reading"?

Don't waste your money. This comes up about once a week, too. For other opinions, do a topic search.
    Anonymous

• i was intereste din that but everyone tells mi its a piece of crap lol
    steph17

Answer by steph17 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My dd has this for my 10 month old granddaughter, she did it everyday for about a month, then moved back home with me, and didn't really have the time or space to do it very often. IMO, it won't hurt them, but I really dont' think it makes them any smarter or able to read. My dh thinks it can harm them, because a young baby shouldn't watch TV anyway.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• This program is not just a waste of money, it can actual HURTyour child's long term sucess.

(1) Anyone can make flashcards and use them to teach a child to recognize words. Why pay $300 for it? Besides, recognizing the word is NOT reading.

(2) Any child can memorize what word comes next in a video. This is plain old memorization and again, is not reading.

(3) Studies have shown that kids who learn to sight read (memorizing what a word looks like) before they learn phonics (how to sound out a word) quickly fall behind their "phonics first" peers and struggle to catch back up. Once a child learns that the way to learn to read is to memorize what a word looks like, he sees no point in investing the time and effort it takes to learn phonics. But English is a phonic language - if you want to be a good reader, to have an easy time learning new words, easy time with comprehension, then phonics is the way to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i saw that. my little girl has always been ahead, in speaking and movment. my little girl is a year old now and she dose not watch tv very much . maybe less than a hour a day. just when her favorite show comes on.but i feel like she is ahead cuz i gave her the chance to do something at a young age everything they learn is by doing. if you put them in front of a tv they will be doing nothing. now that baby can read thing wants you to put your baby in front of the tv to learn.. who knows it may work. but if it does not your wasting good learning time. if you really want your baby to read. sit down with them and read to them, just take the extra time out of your day to read and go over words
    de_sly

Answer by de_sly at 5:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009