Braxtion Hicks

I have herd that braxtion hicks contractions are not painful and they are just tightening of the uterus and it usually happens when you are active and you should lay down and make them go away. mine are painfull at most times and when Im just laying in bed not moving, and they are frequent, should I be worried, or is this normal?

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my braxton hicks arent painful, just uncomfortable. how far along are you? it feels like youre flexing your abs but you have no control over it. it can happen whenever, active or still, but it mostly happens to me when im transitioning like sitting up or laying back. dont worry about having to make them go away, its natural and its just your body getting ready. but if its very painful or frequent, as in more than 5 times in an hour or something then you should call your dr. try drinking some cold water and laying on your left side to stop them. heck call your dr anyway just to ease your mind, thats what they're there for! good luck =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was having braxton hicks, then they started coming more often and with period like cramps...i went into labor and delivery at 24 weeks (im only 26 now) and they can monitor your contractions to see how strong they are, how long they last, and how frequent they are. They told me to make sure you empty your bladder often because a full one can make you contract, also drink LOTS AND LOTS of water and lay on your left side...if they go away, they were probably just BH, also, real contractions dont go away when you get up and walk around, so if walking stops them, then its nothing to worry about =) good luck!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• With my second child I had bad braxton hicks. They were kind of a sharp cramping that would kind of wash over my abdomen for a min and then stop. Sometimes it was a few in a row but several times everyday from about 6 months on. I asked my doctor she checked me and it was okay. Next time you go in a I would just ask. As long as you are not bleeding or doubled over in pain i would think you could wait to your next visit. Call if it would make you feel better. I agree though Drink a big glass of water dehydration is a big trigger for braxton hicks! Make sure you are getting plenty to drink through out the day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I am 35 weeks pregnant and I get braxton hicks often...usually they are not painful. But I have had them to be painful. Sometimes at night I will be laying on my side and I will have one..then I will try to move to a different position and it will hurt so bad that I cant. I have talked to my doctor and he said that its normal. Every pregnant woman is different. What I do when I have one is lay on my left side until it dies down. It it happens every few minutes however you need to call the dr. Also...if you dont drink enough water it could cause contractions..so drink plenty!!!!!
    Madoosey2009

Answer by Madoosey2009 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009