Is anyone else afraid to let their young kids go outside because of all the weirdos every where?

So I am so afraid to let my seven year old twin girls go out and play in the yard and in the drive way with the other little girl down stairs. I feel so paranoid, even though their 11 year old brother is out there playing basket ball it still makes me nervous,because of course he wouldnt let anything happen to them but he isnt really paying attention while playing basket ball with his friends. I keep telling them no not today everyday and they are getting so upset telling me that they are not babies.I have explained in detail about how bad people are out there and how they need to be safe, never talk to anyone they dont know male or female, and that if anyone ever grabbed them to kick scream,yell and do what ever they have to do. But why should we have to worry about telling our kids this?Well I guess thats just the way we have to be these days.I feel so bad that I am being over protective, but theirs weirdos out their!

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the nancy grace show has me paranoid beyond belief!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Nah...thats why you go outside with them...
    Anonymous

• first of all sweetie please dont put that pressure on an 11 yr old. He couldnt stop something from ahppening. If you are worried why dont you go outside with them to watch them or set up something with the neighbor girls mom. I cant say anything about worrying about your kids, are you over the top? maybe but it is scarey so who is to say thats a bad thing.Teach your kids about stranger danger, how to not approach cars for any reason,not to talk to strangers etc....we think that they understand that stuff but unless we have talked to them about it how could they have a clue what some are capable of? You womt scare them if youo handle it right and better scared then un educated.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my kids play in my sight . period ! I don't care who thinks it is overprotective I will tuck my kid in bed tonight instead of passing out "have you seen me " flyers JMO
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 7:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• O.K. can you see the front yard from your living room? And do your kids have good street sense and stranger danger sense? If the answer is yes to all the above then they should be safe out front. My kids tend to play in the back more because we have the pool and swing set there.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• theres a little girl who lives next door to us now (yay no kids til now all older adults), so my daughter and her daughter have become best friends over the past month, anyways, her mom and i take turns watching the kids play outside or in our backyards (even then at my house i go out w/them b/c i can't leave a door open, she leaves her door open and closes the screen b/c her living room is right there so she can do homework etc while the kids play and still see/hear them, my kitchen is by the back door so not an option) anyways, we do that pretty much every day or every other day so the kids get a chance to play outside and we each get some quiet time to clean house, or relax
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Of course I go outside with them! umm and of course they also want to go play outside when I am cooking dinner when all the other kids are out. I am just worried, so maybe I shouldnt let them out in the yard? And I have never put that on my 11 year old son, I am not asking him to baby sitt I am asking him to keep a eye on them!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ummm...My son is 10 and this is the first year I have let him ride his bike to the park in our apartment complex. All the parents know him, all the kids know him and like that other mom said, I would rather be tucking him in bed at night as oppose to passing out the "Have seen me?" fliers
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The problem is with me thinking so much about this is the fact that there are kids that are snatched right out of someones yard while you literally turn your back for two minutes. You cant have your eyes on your child every secound. I like in a apartment building so yes i check out the window and call their names like every fifteen minutes lol, yup paranoid! but it still makes me sick how you cant even let your kid play any where even in the parents sight because there are sick people who know when to make their move. In my newspaper the two weeks ago a boy was asked by his mom to take out the trash to the back, and they havent seen him since!! what kind of crap is that? Thats what I am talking about.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• so ummm not sure, am I being bashed right now for asking this question, or because I am actually letting them go out. wow I guess you cant win. And please do not refer to me as sweetie, here where I am from its considered being a smart ass. Maybe your just trying to be sweet but in my eyes its sarcasm.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009