Pagans: What do you think of dowsing rods?

I am watching ghost hunters right now and they used dowsing rods on the show I am watching. And i know they were traditionally used to locate water.
So, have any of you ever used them for anything? If so, do you mind telling me what you used them for? If you believe in ghosts, do you think they can be used to locate or contact them?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have some and use them to find things besides water. I have used them as a spirit communication device too. (On informal ghost hunts, not on investigations.) The ones that work best for me are made from a metal coat hanger, but I've used other metal ones and wooden ones.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm not Pagan, but I do believe in dowsers. At our cottage it is pretty common to have people dowse for water in order to dig wells in good locations. I've seen it done as a child. I remember trying it as a child and not being able to do it... I think it's a skill that not everyone has. I haven't heard of them being used in contacting spirits, but have heard of them being used to locate water and metals in the earth and have every reason to believe that they work for these purposes.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm not Pagan, but I do believe in it- depending on the person doing the Dowsing. I think you have to have that certain 'something' in order to have it actually work for you.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I guess I could have actually addressed this to everyone, huh. It's not really a religiously loaded question is it? lol.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Never really seen them nor used them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They can be used to locate things other than water. You can use them similar to the way you would use a pendulum.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have never used them. But it's a fairly simple tool. It detects changes in energy fields. That's how it finds water. The water changes the magnetics of that area and the rod reacts to the change. IT's far from magic, if anything it's science at work there. Because it reacts to all changes in energy and not just water they can be used to locate other things as well, in this case spirits.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have a pair that I made from a metal clothes hanger. When I hold them over my altar they swing in and cross each other. They channel whatever energy you direct them to, but I don't use them often. They also cross bars in a certain corner of my bedroom where I think my guardian stands, so they CAN detect spirits.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009