How can I keep my daughter stimulated through the day?

My daughter is three weeks old today and she still seems to do nothing but sleep wake up to eat and have her diaper changed then she goes right back to sleep. Is there any advise on how I can set her up a schedule so that she stays awake during most of the day and sleeps through the night?

hardworkingm320

Asked by hardworkingm320 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry at that point they still sleep a majority of the day. my ds is 5 wks old today. he has in the last week started spending more than just long enough to eat awake & sleeping longer at night. he has a fisher price mirror toy in his pack n play it has a mirror & little animals light up/make music when he moves (later they'll light up when he pulls on one of the toys attached right now you can set it to "mommy mode" & it does it by movement for 10 mins) he just got that last week & loves staring at it. shake a rattle for her in front of her face, do some tummy time after eating, they don't like it alot but it needs to be done and you may get a few mins in. right now just try to entertain her for 5-20 mins or so after/before eating and then let her sleep if she wants, if she still seems to enjoy the activities than continue til shes tired, thats how i did it w/my dd & she slept through the night at 6 wks hope it works 4 him 2
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I used a swing and music with my sons. At 3 weeks old it is still a little early to expect her to do more then she is doing, but some children can be put on a good schedule at that age. I kept my boys with me pretty much all the time unless they were sleeping, whether carrying them or if i was cooking or something i put them in their highchair and had them watch me and i talked to them as i was cooking telling them what I was doing. If they tried to go to sleep when I didn't want them to I would wake them up. When starting any schedule you will have to expect to deal with a lot of crankiness, but in a few weeks things will settle down and the baby will get used to it. Just remember your baby is still very very young and shouldn't be expected to do much until she is a few weeks older.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 7:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• a good floor gym is your best bet. You might want to get two or extra attachments for a change of pace. She may no be into it right now because she's doing what she's suppose to but in a couple weeks she'll be staying awake more and more. My daughter loved hers, she would fall asleep under them and wake up and play before she cried for what she needed.

Also, don't forget to give her some tummy time with a toy mirror when she is awake. some babies don't like it very much but it helps build her neck muscles for sitting up and crawling.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009