Do you spank your child? If so how old are your kids, & when do u think they are to old to spank? ;)

I am just curious to know what others thing.....And I do not mean beat your child! I mean spank once in a while, not a daily punishment! And please do not come on to this post and start bashing people, if you dont like what you read then move on to the next question because everyone has a different view on this, so please respect that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• my child was 3 when she got her first spanking. she gets them if she acts up after time out. i am 22 and i am sure if i gave my mom a reason she would still spank me...your never too old.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• yes, 5, and i dont know
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• 4yrs and 3yrs. ...but i am trying to stop spanking unless for life and death. but it is NOT my main form of discipline.
    I think 8 or 9 is too old for spanking.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yes I do spank my daughter she is 5. When she was about 2 I would swat her hand if she did something that might hurt her. Now I will swat her little leg or bottom now and then when she is just out of control. But never hard and never on bare skin. My parents spanked me. I was spanked with switches and belts not often, just when I really deserved it. I probably deserved it a lot more than they did it. And I am fine, I am not a violent person. I think as long as there is no abuse, spanking is fine.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yes we spank. I'm not exactly sure how old is to old but my dh spanked his dd (my step dd) when she was 16 for mouthing off. She was one of those who would just keep going on and on instead of being quite, digging herself in deeper.

I spanked my dd (she's 7) this weekend for mouthing off. I sent her to her room and she was yelling at me from her room at the top of her lungs. I went in there several times and told her to knock it off but did she, no. That's when she got the spanking. Before that it had been a year since I had to spank her. I definately don't spank for every offense otherwise I would be spanking her several times a day every day and then that IMO would be abuse.

I think if my grandma were still alive and I mouthed off to her she'd pop me in the mouth or spank me (I'm 29) so maybe you are never to old as the pp said.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son starting getting his hands popped probably around the time he started walking && was able to actually get into things [[1 year]]. && I don't think you are ever too old to get a spanking...lol
    my mom chased me around the yard tryin to spank me when I was about 16 b/c I broke my curfew.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I started with little hand swats, nothing that would hurt, just a no no you can do that. I think every child is different, I personally gave my first son his first swat on his butt when he was about 9 months old. However my second son I did not swat him till he was just over a year old. My oldest is head strong, but my younger one is much more laid back. But still in another situation I raised my niece and i never swatted her till she was 3, i never had a need to do anything but verbally correct her until she was 3. Use your own judgment if you have tried to correct verbally and have tried to redirect and have tried time outs and all the other options and you think the child is mature enough to understand that the swat is because they did something bad, try it. But really use your own judgement. As for how old is too old, that again depends on the child, but a rough age I think would be mid teen age years.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 8:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When my children understood the word no and didnt mind. So around 2.
    They might get a smack on the hand or a swat on the bum.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my child is 2 and yes i will spank her but if she needs it
    Anonymous

• You need to decide if you want your child to grow up with the message that hitting (and other forms of violence) can be the solution to a problem.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009