For people who are in the military, or know someone who is in the military, should the government start a draft to give our military a break?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I spent four years in the service after 9/11. My DH is in the military. My father was, my DH's father was, and so were both of their fathers and their father's father's, etc... Off the boat!

I majored in political science in college and I see the world from out of my sphere of experience.

The way things are going, we are going to be at "war" for while. Whether it's right or not is not a question that can't, and needn't be answered. Ideological wars have been happening all the time, since the beginning of time. To force service is unnatural and has unpleasant results. Is a draft the solution?

I don't know. Do you want your fathers, brothers, sons and mothers, sisters and daughters going off to war? Without having the training, equipment and brother soldiers with the same values to go with? It makes no sense.

To me, our funding can and should be allocated in much more sensible ways. Drafting's not the answer.
    kate.oneill

Answer by kate.oneill at 10:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No. Forcing people to become a part of the military who otherwise would NOT, imo~ might lead to more harmful results/incidents by those who are not committed to the mission.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Sure! Send a bunch of 18-22 video game experts, who have likely can't make a decision without mom or dad's input on the front lines. The majority of today's late teen/early 20 year olds couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag....too wussy.

I'd rather have men and women who WANT to serve, not little boys cowering in a fox hole.
    Anonymous

• No. Absolutely not.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No way. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there to be there.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Maybe that is what our country needs, to turn all these "wuss's" into men. I am sure they will come back a different generation.
    Anonymous

• LOL I agree with 8:16.Most of the young ones today who do not enlist of their own free will would be a wreck.Besides the majority are overweight and lazy.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure what you mean by a "break." I am very grateful to the men && women who serve our country, my brother is now one of them, but they knew exactly what they were signing up for when they did it. && I don't think it's right to force people, who don't want to, to go fight for our country. It takes a special kind of person to deal with that.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't think for the "break" but so many parents refuse to let their kids join that I find it sickening. We should do what Germany and other European countries do and have everyone do 2 years in the service. Right now we have people who don't want to fight for our country but still want to enjoy the freedoms! They expect everyone else to scarifice their life and family but it's wrong or against their religion to fight for our country! IMO if you feel that way you can get the F out!
    Anonymous

• Nope.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009