How many actual words besides mama and dada does your 14 month old say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine said maybe 4 or 5.. she babbles non stop and is slowly starting with her words.. she's very expressive with her hands though and knows how to tell us what she wants
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 8:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Good question, my son is now 18 months and only says mom, mama, dada, yes, no, oh no, yeah, and i think that's about it. My older son said a few more words, like eat, at his age, but then did not use any more words till he was about 2.5.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 8:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• when my oldest was 14 months she said about 10 words such as momma, dadda, duck, cup, cat, sorry, uh oh, and oh shit(my neighbor thought it was funny) and a few more but i cant remember the ones it was
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my 14 mo old (at the time) said mama, dada, baba, doggie, and kitty,and hi
    Kelli.and.Ellie

Answer by Kelli.and.Ellie at 9:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter says :mama, dada, cat, dog, swing, book, uh oh, up, no, backpack, nose, bye bye, eyeball, ball, bubble, couch, duck, bird, bink bink, bear bear, baby, dora, hotdog, bite bite, moo moo, baba, more, map, hey and i think thats it.. gooness, i didnt realize it was that many :)
    MommytoAngel08

Answer by MommytoAngel08 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm not sure about 14 months old, I think about 25 words. I have an 18 month old daughter who communicates very well, understands a lot. She repeats everything you say and she knows what it means too. It amazes me. Well, as of yesterday...she can now say the entire alphabet and count 1 to 10 all on her own. It fascinates me.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Maybe 2 or 3. And it's an "actual word" if you know what she means. It doesn't matter if she says it right, drops half the word, uses different sounds, if a stranger can understand it. All that matters is that you know what she means. That's verbal communication... correct pronunciation will come over the coming YEARS.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My first knew lot's of words
    On his own he knew these words at 14 months:
    What's this? What's that? want to see, dog, kitty, nose, tummy, eye, knew, tree, cheese ball, thank you, bubble, water, bunny, duck, please. But he would repeat anything you said after he asked "What's this or what's that". He would keep asking until you told him what it was and he could say it right, but he would necessarily remember the name of the object.

My second...not a word. He started to say kitty but was never really interested in getting the word down. He kind of say mama, he says "mamamamamamamymamamymamamamayma". I guess that could count:)
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 1:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Psh, like 2 or 3....mama, dada, ....he can say "again" but not clearly. He understands everything I say and can make animal noises and point to the features on his face -nose, eyes....but he doesn't like to talk. Every baby is different though!!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 8:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009