My son is 3 weeks old and cries just about every time i put him down? Is this normal?? And can you really spoil a baby by picking them up too much??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 100 percent no you cannot spoil a newborn by holding it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You cannot spoil a baby until they are at least a year old...especially as young as 3 weeks. he needs his mommy and yes it;s normal. Make sure he's swaddled and fed and clean and just give him love. That's all they understand for a long time.....He spent 9 months tucked inside of you and now he's out in the world and wants to feel the security of mommy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No you can't spoil a baby that young. He may just need to be close to mommy, it will pass I promise.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Babies are not able to formulate ideas such as "When I cry she picks me up" (cause and effect type situations) until 3 months of age or better. No matter what anyone has told you, it is absolutely impossible to "spoil" a newborn baby. They cry to let u know they are hungry, wet, have gas, are over-tired, or uncomfortably hot/cold. There may be some other things they will cry over, but being spoiled at that age is NOT one of them. Good luck and don't worry! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i hope everyone hates me for this but... i personally think that it is not a matter of 'spoiling', but training. OMG.. I know it sounds like a dog.. but, if you want to go crazy and never have a minutes sleep and have your baby become totally dependant on you from day one only to have to try and break this habit later.. go ahead and pick him up every single time he cries.. or,. you can make your life way easier, and in the end, easier for your baby too, and allow your baby to cry a little bit (make sure it is not because of pain or hunger).. usually babies cry a lot because they have been over stimulated, are not allowed quiet time to themselves, and are not on any type of schedule. Fix this, and you probably won't have a crying baby for much longer.... thats JMO, speaking from experience.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Is your baby breast fed or formula fed? My DD is 3 weeks as well BF'd she has her moments where she just wants to be snuggled, it's a baby's nature to want to snuggle and yours to want to hold them close. Good LUCK! And the other mom's are right my PED. assured me that you can't spoil a baby under the age of 1.
    Anonymous

• Actually VelvetCat the studies and experiences state otherwise. If the caregiver attends to the child's every cry in the beginning it builds a level and trust which leads to a less fussy baby in the end. If a child is left to cry they do not have the ability to understand time and object permanence all they know is they are calling and no one is coming so what does that do? It leads the child to scream as hard and loud as possible as to get the caregivers attention even for the little things. You can not 'train' a child to wait. Babies can NOT be spoiled! Go to your little one and build that layer of trust that will last a lifetime!

Anonymous

• When babies cry there is a reason for it, so I would pick him up. I don't think you can spoil him by holding him when he cries, but making it a habit to be held all the time can be a bad idea. When babies are in the womb they are able to put themselves to sleep, so rocking him and holding him whlie he sleeps is something I think would be a bad habit to start.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• That's a yes. Have you tried swaddling? My boys loved to be swaddled- it reminded them of being in the womb.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ___ Actually VelvetCat the studies and experiences state otherwise. If the caregiver attends to the child's every cry in the beginning it builds a level and trust which leads to a less fussy baby in the end. If a child is left to cry they do not have the ability to understand time and object permanence all they know is they are calling and no one is coming so what does that do? It leads the child to scream as hard and loud as possible as to get the caregivers attention even for the little things. You can not 'train' a child to wait. Babies can NOT be spoiled! Go to your little one and build that layer of trust that will last a lifetime!

-- interesting. my babies never screamed their heads off. Never had fussy babies.. and I allowed them to cry. Only when they were going to sleep though, which only lasted a few times.. Unless they were teething or actually did hurt themselves somehow, they didnt cry much at all.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 1:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009