LOW THYROID IN NEWBORN

I JUST FOUND UOT MY SON MIGHT HAVE A LOW THYROID IF UNTREATED DOCTOR SAID OT CAN LEAD TO MENTAL RETARDATION. HAS ANY ONE HAD A BABY WHO HAD THIS OR KNEW SONONE WHO HAD IT IF SO WHAT WERE THE TREATMENTS AND HOW DID BABY DEVELOPE MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY? I AM SO WORRIED

kimmie123

Asked by kimmie123 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why did they check his thyroid in the first place?
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• they screen all newborns for it that test they do at 2 weeks old , the one where they prick their heel
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Hi there. My sister actually has hypothyroidism. She was born without a thyroid gland at all. My parents found out when she was just a couple weeks old. She has been taking synthroid since that time as treatment. She is now 22 years old and perfectly healthy. She did well in school and is a great person. I know its hard but I would not be too worried. It is very treatable. Good luck!!!
    nicolepcock

Answer by nicolepcock at 10:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• thanks nicolepcock that makes me feel better!!! how old was she when she started treatment? my son is 7 weeks old
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I believe she was 1-2 months old. Since she was a baby my mom would have to crush the pills at that time and put it in her bottles. She had to go to an endocrinologist every year for blood work/check-up to make sure she was ok. They upped her dose every so often and now she is at a steady level since her late teens. Basically, all she needs to do is take the medication and see her endocrinologist once a year to be sure all is ok. I hope everything turns out well for your little one!
    nicolepcock

Answer by nicolepcock at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009