Ideas for a first birthday with a fairy tale theme

My daughters first birthday is comming up in September ( yes I start planing early lol ). I want to have a fairy tale themed party for her. I dont mean Disney princess sorta fairy tale , I mean old time fairy tale. I need some ideas on decorations,food,cake, and anything else. She is turning 1 and alothough it is a HUGE deal to us shes never really going to remember it so I dont think spending an arm and a leg is a good idea lol I'm good with arts and crafts and i'd like to make almost everything myself. So if you have any ideas or know if any websites with ideas I'd love to hear them ! Thanks !!!

HeartsNRoses

Asked by HeartsNRoses at 8:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Entertainment

• I made a castle cake for my dd's 2nd birthday - it was a 13x9 cake, cut in half and stacked for the main party of the castle. I cut up brownies and used toothpicks to hold them along the top edge (like the ramparts of a castle, I think they're called). I also cut up another cake into 2 inch squares and stacked them with a drinking straw at the first two corners of the castle to make towers. I topped it with an upside down sugar cone to make the tower roofs. Frosting it was a nightmare, but dh suggested next time frost the parts before putting it together.
    We used m&m's to outline windows and the castle gate, and licorice whips to make the bars on the door. We didn't frost the sugar cones (since they were already brown) but I used frosting tubes (used for writing) to outline roof times, then made flags on toothpicks and stuck in the cones. It was cute! con'td
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Just make sure when you cut and serve the cake, start from the back (where there were no towers or ramparts) so no one accidently eats a toothpick. We didn't decorate the back too much, just some candy. You can outline the doors with candy canes also if you want. but use your imagination, you can also use gumdrops for ramparts along the top if you don't want to use brownies and toothpicks.
    Good luck! Get creative, I had a blast making that thing and I hate decorating.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• actually, I just found this online and it looks WAAYYY easier than the one I did:
    http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50200
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Oh, goto Family fun. com and they have a princess theme party there complete with instructions on the cake(It's super cool looking!), games, goody bags, lots of ideas!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Best advice I have ever recieved was to frost the cake when it was frozen. Yes Fozen!! Then you don't have to deal with it falling apart as you frost it. I make all my cakes for birthdays and it hasn't failed me yet. I make the cake, let it cool, put it in gallon bags or just on a cutting board in the freezer- assemble the day of or day before and frost. I have made the castle cake as well with the cone- family fun website has a similar cake to what I made. For a craft idea purchase plain crowns for oriential trading and let the kids design thier own crowns- yes even the littest ones can paint or use dot stampers to decorate a crown.
    Jen7232005

Answer by Jen7232005 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009