What do you think of walmart's hours?

Do you think it's necessary for them to be open 24 hrs a day?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I guess it's good for people who work odd shifts. I rarely go there during the night, but I have. I really don't think it's necessary for them to be open 24 hours, but I guess they do get the business or they wouldn't be open like that.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I always thought it must get really empty and creepy there in the middle of the night. I wouldn't want to work there. I guess they are mostly restocking shelfs but since they are there they figure they might as well make some money.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• well i love that i can go anytime of day. i usually only go later at night, someone is home who can watch the kids and its not the after work rush by then. as far as should they be open, their employees are not forced to work the night shifts that is when they can work. so it gives people who can only work those late night shifts a safe place to work, and it gives those of us who prefer shopping later at night a place to shop.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think its good if you run out of diapers or something at 4 in the morning
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I love the odd hours. if you run out of something u really need its nice to know that somewhere there is a place open for you to go.
    Ames826

Answer by Ames826 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I love it. We have had several occasions where something was needed and every other store was closed. Its good to know you can run to walmart at 3 am for fever meds if necessary.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I LOVE that they are open all the time..in case I start my period at two am and realized only then that I am out of tampons...
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 9:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm sure a marketing team did some analyses and research on their target markets, demographics, and consumer's wants and needs before deciding to remain open 24 hours. At this point, they may be trying those new hours on their most profitable stores to see if more revenue can be brought in if the hours were convenient to the late night/early morning shoppers. They will perform periodic measurements to see if any adjustments need to be made at any of the stores that are open for 24 hours, perhaps by closing them for 4-5 hours each night.

If the Walmart near you is open for 24 hours and is earning a profit overall, then the corporation will see it as a good thing. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well from a convenience stand point for the customers I guess it's fine, and if the store turns a great profit I guess that's great for them. But the energy Wal-Mart consumes by staying open 24 hours is far more than their competitors who are only open 12 hours. I can't see how consuming that much energy is a good thing, especially if you only get a few customers during those odd hours.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Actually, Walmart consumes less energy than its competition. Many of the Walmarts here in VA have square windows in the ceilings to let in natuarl light so on bright and sunny days they can turn the flourescent lights off or down to minimum level.
    In the evenings certain departments close down for business until the next day, such as the bakery, pharmacy, and paint department, which cuts costs down.
    The electronics dept. shuts off some of their televisions during off-peak hours in order to conserve energy and most of the business offices (human resources and management) are closed for the evening.
    Stores actually cool down significantly during the night so that turning down the a/c is actually beneficial to the employees who don't wish to remain cold and it saves on electric consumption.
    It really isn't much of a problem with excess usage of energy because it is cut back during the day and where possible.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009