why join the military when they dont pay enough???

my friend is in the military and he only makes 2800 a month!!! my husband makes that a month and is free to be home with his family! So why would you join for that amount of money? To tell you the truth i wouldnt kill my self over my country.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Pride in serving your country.
    Doing your part to make this country better.
    Benefits (health care, housing allowance).
    Also, for a lot of people like my husband it's all he knew. He was going to graduate college and move on but in the end, he joined and loves what he does now.

I tried to join myself but I have terrible asthma and couldn't pass the physical.
    There are more important things in life besides money.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have two kids that work for me that have just enlisted in the military. One went into the Navy to get an education, he was turned down for financial aid due to his parents income, there was no loans to help him pay for college. The second one joined the Army to get job training. There are no good paying jobs in my area since the economy went belly up. Most peope I know that have joined have done it to get job training or money for college. I admire those that can and will do it.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My best friend joined the navy right out of high school. She only makes about $32,000 a year. Granted she is on permanent shore duty in VA so shes not in a dangerous area. She joined b/c she screwed around in high school thinking college just wasn't for her and then realized after it was too late that its hard to get a good job without some sort of continued education. So she joined for the job reference and to help have college paid for. She hates the navy and will be getting out in August, aparently college would have been a good chioce for her but I"m glad she stayed in the navy because in the end it does look good to future employers that you served in the military (and not dishonorably discharged).
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• there are reasons beyond the $ to join the mil.... most people feel an obligation to their country and are proud to do it. If my husband wasn't in, I'd be in. My brother just got out and he made less $ than that! They do get some college, job security and free medical but it's more knowing they actual did something for their country instead of sitting by and reaping the benefits without doing anything for it.
    And they arn't KILLING theirselves for our country, but they could die because of their chioce.
    Anonymous

• You are very short sighted. There are a lot of reason to join the military outside of the money. And honestly, $2800 is A LOT more than many people are making right now, and its more than enough to live comfortably on when you do it right. Trust me, I know, my husband is in the military. Thankfully there are some people in the country who care about more things than just "the money".

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with the first poster.
    Anonymous

• When someone joins the Military it's NOST for the pay its' for the HONOR OF serving.
    My dh is a firefighter, a paid on call firefighter which means he is only paid for certain runs that are made. and is only paid once a yr.
    We have a neighboring town that none of the men and women that serve as firefighters are paid at all.
    WHY do the the job then? Bc it's THEIR calling (you might say) as it is for the men and women who join the Military.
    And PAY doesn't factor in for what they do nor does the fact that they may not come home one day...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Honey, teachers in my area are getting $27,000 a year. They don't get free housing or medical care with that, either. Now THAT is lousy pay! Obviously, people take jobs for other than monetary reasons.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Many people take a job for more than just monetary reasons. The military may not pay much, but you also learn some very valuable skills. Most people I know that come out of the military make excellent paramedics, nurses, and I know two that are going to school learn more about the mechanics of various types of aircraft. They all learned skills in the military that allowed them to have a head start on their education back home and later got excellent jobs.

Anonymous

• if someone didn't join, your husband may not live in a society where he is free to make as much or as little as he wants. in most parts of the country, you can live very comfortably on 2800 a month if you get benefits.

Anonymous