breastfeeding

sooo my baby is now almost 5 days old, and I am breastfeeding, without using formula at all. we took her to the hospital for her 2 day check up and they said she lost like a little weight..she went from 8 lbs exactly to 7 lbs 6 ounces, and now im all concerned that she isnt eating enough. Everytime she smacks her lips I am trying to let her see if she wants to eat, but most of the time she only eats for like 5 mins maybe. She will eat for longer a couple times, but mainly its more often for 5 mins. is this normal?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 9:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Almost ALL babies lose weight the first couple days. So I wouldn't worry! If she continues to lose weight, then go see the doctor.
    Anonymous

• Yes its perfectly normal, most babies just like pp said lose weight after being born, my son was 8 lbs even at birth and lost a little over a pound in about two days they told me that was the most he should lose, so we went in for his two day at home check up and they then told me I had to supplement with formula because they were afraid of his weight loss, but I flat out refused, bf was very important for me to do with him, and guess what now almost 11 months later he is huge and normal weight too, and low and behold I have NEVER gave him formula he has only had bm. I wouldnt worry mama if your baby doesnt start gaining by her next appointment then I would ask the doctor, and if you are still concerned just keep count on how many wet/dirty diapers she is making in a day. Pretty sure it should be 6-8 wet or dirty diapers a day, from what I remember anyhow

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• BTW I forgot to add that they are supposed to give the baby 14 days to gain all their weight back and some even gain more
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's normal for babies to loose some weight the first couple of days. My daughter lost about 2 oz. About the breastfeeding...Just keep at it. Feed her as often as possible, and the more she sucks the better. 5 minutes every time doesn't sound like a lot, so I would try to get her to stay at the breast some more. I know that might be hard. When I started breastfeeding both of mine, I would pump in between feedings to get the milk to come in. Your milk should be coming in any day now, usually around the 4th or 5th day, so just keep going. :-)
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009