Question for moms that have used the CIO method

About how long was baby crying before he/she settled down to sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doctors say not to let them cry any longer than 15 minutes. My son would cry for about 5 minutes on average...10 minutes on a rough night. But now he goes right down without a peep and its so much better than what I had to do to get him to sleep before.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that I use this "method." My son is pretty good about going to sleep, but on occasion he has fought it. On those nights, he cries anywhere from 5-20 min before falling asleep. But he didn't start even fighting his sleep until he was around 18-19 mos old.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• sometimes it was 3 minutes, sometimes it was 15-30 minutes. I always went in every 15-30 minutes depending on the cry. And every time I went in there it would take longer to go back to sleep. Sometimes it would be 3 hours later (YES I CHECKED ON HER!!!!) before she fell asleep and it was because I kept coming in. Now she plays for 10 min to an hour and is asleep. I didn't start letting her CIO until she was 8 months old because it was a game at that point to her.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• depends how old. and my pediatrician said they could cry an hour and half before actually falling asleep. but that only last about a week. My son was about 9 months before we tried it. He cried himself to sleep 5-10 minutes. Now every so often we have nights that it takes him 20 minutes or so but usually after 5-10 minutes hes asleep.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The first week we used this method he would cry for a whole hour. We would go in every 5 minutes and try to soothe him. It was the hardest thing to do to let him cry and carry on but if I rocked him he would still cry for the same length of time and I would just get so frustrated and stressed by it. After the first week he stopped crying for so long and it would only last about 30 min and we would check in every 10 minutes. We never allowed him to cry more than 10 minutes and if he got really upset to where he was screaming we would go in and get him. He 9 months old now and ever since he was 6 months he would put himself right to sleep without hardly a peep so i am an advocate of the loving CIO method.
    Anonymous

• Get the book by Ferber it's really good! I found with reading it that your routine can be what is the problem.... we did it with my son this past week after 4 days he's going to sleep all on his own with very little crying ever! It's amazing... I think the first night he cried maybe 8 minutes and that's the most of every night! And we had tried this 2 other times at 6 and 8 months with our own "method" and it didn't work even a little.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends on the baby actually. I didn't start the CIO method until they were about 9 months old. My boys would cry for about 5-10 minutes before they knocked out.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2009