Any help with baby constipation?

OKAY...my lo is breastfeeding. About a week ago his bowel movements started to change. He didn't have a temp. so I didn't call the doc. right away. We have been supplementing with formula. Anyway, this weekend things started to change a lot with his bowel movements. He was only having 2-3 per day and on Saturday he had one that was the color of green beans and very loose. He had another one the next day also like that. I called the dr. and they said basically it's normal and I told them that I'd monitor it. It's a sudden change. I was also wondering what will help get rid of constipation? I'm using prune juice in with a bottle of water with a little breast milk mixed in. I have laid off of the formula b/c I think that is the biggest culprit of our problems. Also, what formula that isn't harsh on a babies tummy do ppl. recommend? I know it's diff. from child to child, but just want some input if poss. THANKS! Amy

alr516

Asked by alr516 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was the same way when I started him on formula he was very constipated and his Dr. said it was normal. I gave him some apple juice don't add any water or formula just juice and that should make him go poo
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter was on Similac Advance and she stayed constipated. I had someone at the pharmacy tell me to put a little Karo syrup in water and give her a little of that. Little Tummy's used to make a laxative for babies. My youngest daughter is on Similac Sensitive (orange can) and she's done great on it. No spit up, no constipation. Hope your little one feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• An ounce or 2 or apple juice will help, but it sounds pretty normal. Baby poop is always wierd and unpredictable until they're a little older. Enfamil Gentlease worked good for us.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• prune juice. just mix a little (like 2oz) ever few days
    Kelli.and.Ellie

Answer by Kelli.and.Ellie at 9:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• how old for the juice?
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 10:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• GREEN poop is a sign of allergies u need to be careful light yellow with green tint is fine but just staight green isnt right my kids have allergies and we found out because their poo was green when they were babies ... i am not one of those moms that gets all crazy when someone chooses to ff thier baby instead of bf but that may be the problem hun u said u had just started supplementing..if u need to relieve the constipation lay baby on back and slowly push feet up towards abdomen also tummy time works it get those muscles working if that stuff doesnt work a little bit of apple juice watered down works as well good luck
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 1:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2009