Sleep Schedule

My 2 month old daughter has been going 8 hours between feedings for a couple of weeks now, but since she started day care, she eats her last meal at 6 pm, is conked out by 7, and prefers to wait until 2 or 3 am to wake up and eat. For the past week, we have been waking her at 10:30 or 11 to feed her in hopes that she will sleep thru until 6 or so, but she still wakes at 3 am anyway.

Last night, I decided that when she woke at 3 am I would just try to calm her back to sleep instead of feeding her, but it didn't work and she ate a full bottle.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I keep waking her and maybe eventually she will get it? Or should I just get used to waking at 3 every night? Thanks!

leahs_mom_kate

Asked by leahs_mom_kate at 9:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try getting as much food in her during the day as possible. She's just on a backwards schedule right now. The more she eats during the day, the less she'll wake up at night for a bottle.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• wow...2 months old and she goes 8 hours without a bottle...my 2 month old would go 4 hours max without a bottle. As he got older he would go to bed at 8 and I would go in and feed him at 11 or 12 and then he would go until 5. If I were you I would just get used to getting up as bad as it sounds mine would get up every 2 hours to eat until he was about 2 months old so count yourself lucky.
    Anonymous

• I've always been told that if they are hungry they will wake up to eat. My daughter started sleeping through the night at 2 months old. (Like 3 days shy of 2 months.) She would sleep for 12 hours. From about 8-8! She did nothing but thrive her whole life. She has always been advanced.
    Everything isn't always as complex as we make it.
    Good Luck
    vano0528

Answer by vano0528 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If she is hungry, give her the bottle. She is still very little. Many babies at that age still eat every 4 hours, day and night. I know my son woke up every 3-4 hours like a clockwork at that age! By 6 months old, he was sleeping longer stretches... like 6 hours. AT 9 months old, he slept all night and has been a really good sleeper since. (I mean, 9:30pm-9:30am.) When she is a bit older, you can try offering her a pacifier or soothe her when she wakes up at night.... but right now, she truly needs the bottle.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'll add that you are fortunate that she -only- wakes up at 3am. ;) I wish I had that!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009