Follow up question to "pregnant/smoking" question.

to those of you that smoked up until you found out you were pregnant, or until first doctors apt, did YOUR doctor tell you to quit right away or did he tell you the IMFAMOUS "don't quit, just cut down, its bad for the baby to quit"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have never heard of that at all.....so how does that work if the mother smokes the whole pregnancy.....do they give the baby small amount of nicotine so he is not stressed out? no, of course not,,,,,,,that is crazy!
    Anonymous

• My doctor didn't say that, but my ex-coworker said hers did. Honestly, I just thought that was an excuse because I had never heard that before.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my doctors told me not to quit. cause it would stress the baby out to much, with how stressed i already was. they did tell me to cut down though.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 10:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• OP here, I personally believe its just a HUGE excuse that some pregnant woman made up at one point in time, and woman are too afraid to REALLY ask there doctors from fear of looking HORRIBLE and just say "my doctor told me not to quit, it will stress out the baby more" its HAS to be an excuse, if you were a heroin addict the doctor wouldn't tell you to cut back, because quitting can stress out the baby! its an excuse from pregnant woman, not strong enough to say, " i smoke because I just cant quit" I would respect that answer, I wouldn't agree or like it, but I would be much more supportive to someone that felt THAT dependent on something, instead the lie, and make there doctors look like fools.

Anonymous

• I had 3 different doctors tell me to gradually cut back to no more than half a pack a day (10 cigs), preferably 6 or less, because the risk are severely lowered at that point.. Want to know why THREE different medical professionals from 3 different places said this?

When I tried to quit cold turkey, I landed in the hospital more than once, due to severe cramping. Each time, they thought I was going to lose the baby. Even when I cut back at anything other than a very slow pace, I ended up with cramping.

My list of resulting symptoms?

-Severe cramping, leading to 3 trips to the hospital, each time at high risk for miscarriage
    -Severe nausea. Not just morning sickness. There were periods where I couldn't keep food, &many of the times liquids, down for three or four days. I was losing weight at a very unhealthy rate
    -Severe migraines
    -Light-headedness

ALL Drs agreed that my chance of miscarriage was higher quitting than
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I just posted on the other one, but I'll post again. My doctor told me the absolute 100% best thing to do is to quit. BUT if for some reason you're having a horrible time, even cutting down can help the baby.
    Nykalayla

Answer by Nykalayla at 10:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• mine said the same thing that Nykalayla's did
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I can understand the not being able to completely quit. I'm determined to be done by the time I'm 30 weeks. I know it's not a lot, but even that last few weeks with clean air will be good for them.

A friend of mine miscarried after she went from a full pack a day to cold turkey. Her body just couldn't function (although I wish she would've been smarter about it).
    Nykalayla

Answer by Nykalayla at 10:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• As to the original question:

I'd be thinking: I hope to God that that woman has a damn good reason for not quitting.

For the record, I have no problem with willpower. I've been struggling to quit for a almost a year before getting pregnant, and I was having physical problems with it then. The problems escalated after becoming pregnant, to the point of it being very unsafe for my child. But, is it just because it will 'stress my baby out too much'? Hell no.Just quitting will NOT stress a child out 'too much' for the mother to quit. Certain physical aspects of severe withdrawal CAN be risky. Is it 'stress'? Nope. It's physical effects on the mother which also affect the baby. If I was having trouble quitting just because it 'stressed me out', then I wouldn't be smoking at all.

Then again, not all women can easily 'just quit' when it comes to willpower. I'm not one of them, but in my situation, I kind of wish I was. :\
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Correction:

My REAL wish was that I had taken medication for assistance in quitting before getting pregnant. Then again, my son is a BC AND condom baby. :\ Not exactly planned.I was terrified of prescription stop-smoking aids, because of my adoptive mothers onset of severe depression (to the point of being suicidal) as a result of taking them. In my opinion, that's an understandable fear. But I wish I hadn't had it.

But, wishes will get you nowhere. Doing your best under the circumstances you are given can.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009