Is a pocket knife OK?

I think that a 12 yr. old is more than old enough for a pocket knife. BUT, I am wondering if anyone thinks that this is unreasonable?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 10:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My boys have collected knives since they were pretty young, about 6 I'd say. (Their dad's idea, not mine). I am the one who always made sure they were put up in a safe place and they knew that they were not toys, but more like display pieces. Now they are 10 and 12 and have pocket knives they take hiking, fishing and hunting with them and they are very responsible with them. My 8 yo SS also has knives and same deal with him. They are NOT TOYS, but can be very useful, especially if they are outdoorsy kids.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If he brings it to school he will get suspended.
    Other than that, it depends on how reponsible he is.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the 12 year old. Also remember if he accidently leaves it in his pocket he could get in big trouble at school or other places.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don' t know. I was always taught to keep a pocket knife with me. It's gotten me out of a few jams, and helped me feel like I could protect myself at times when I haven't felt so safe. But if a teacher or someone else finds it at school, he will get suspended.
    jcbruce_80

Answer by jcbruce_80 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Why would a 12 year old need a pocket knife?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• In Boy Scouts the boys earn the privilege of carrying a pocket knife. Grab a manual and check out the guidelines. If I remember they have to prove responsibility and skill with the knife. They earn a patch and card and have to handle the knife properly or corners of card are torn off if the lose all four corners then they need to re-earn the card. The same guidelines could work for a family.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I never thought about it.....Honestly it is not something I would think of allowing my son to have, or encouraging him to have, but if it is something you are used to and it is common in your family or social circles, then...I would think around 12 is probably old enough. Find out what the laws are about specific knives and what is allowed, though. I know the laws are different in different places and certain sizes and styles are okay. Make sure he knows when it is okay to carry it and when it isn't. School policies, etc.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would never approve of him having it during school. We are talking about a responsible 12 year old boy.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• A 12yr old should not be carrying a knife around. If he brings it to school he will be suspended. What if he gets scared and stabs someone with it? I would never give my child a weapon to carry around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Yeah..if going camping, fishing or doing something he might need a lil knife for. But to carry round everywhere..uh uh. Sounds dangerous!! Id worry someone would take the knife and hurt somebody w/it . I have enough to worry bout..i wouldnt add another to the picture!
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 4:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009