2 year old speech

My son is very difficult to understand (he'll be 2 in August). I don’t understand most of what he says but he seems to be talking in sentences. He can’t make any of the “hard” sounds like K or T. Does anyone know anything about early intervention for speech or how to get him evaluated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk with the dr. Also have his ears checked. My dd was talking in what sounded like sentences but we could only make out a few words. When my ds at 18 months was easier to understand that my dd at 5 we knew somthing was up. Turns out she had fluid build up in her ears (never had an ear infection) and some hearing loss. She's 7 (almost 8) now and after getting tubes and 3 years of speech therapy she is easier to understand but still has trouble with her "R's" If I knew then what I know now she'd be way better off.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My dd was in speech. Mention it to your Dr they should be able to give direct you to the local intervention team. And usually the therapy is state funded and FREE!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ask you dr if there is any government funded programs in your state.
    Anonymous

• Well my son was talking and then stopped. so i had the pediatrition check him out. they are putting him in special classes at the doctors with the speach therapist and everything. just ask your pediatrician next time you're there if he can be evaluated and tell him whats going on. thats the best way to do it.
    sharon-poo

Answer by sharon-poo at 10:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• By 24 months he should have at least 50 intelligible words. If he doesn't seem to have that, ask your pediatrician to refer you to Early Intervention. My daughter started EI at 10 months, and it helped a lot.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son refuses to talk i mean he talks when he wants n its normaly not around me but his vocab it probaly around 20 ish
    orion07

Answer by orion07 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Im not to sure where your located but here in jersey we have a program called Early childhood intervention program, they will come to your home and evaluate the child if under 3 he/she will be evaluated through play, You will find many organizations around your home & community to be helpful, just make sure you go through a program u like , dont let other organizations push there program on you! when it comes to your child u have the right to be picky! ~Liz
    LizNavarro

Answer by LizNavarro at 11:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009