If you were a bar tender and a obviously pregnant woman walked in and orderd a drink, would u say something or serve her?

I would kick her out of my bar, I have the right to deny service to anyone.JMO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• me personally i would ask if theres anything else she wants 1st then if she insist her alcholic bev i would just give it to her. i have worked at a casino and if u dont give it to them they will get it from some1 else .jmo
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 10:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends on whether or not it's YOUR bar, or you work for someone else. I'd do as the PP said, and ask if she would possibly prefer something else. If not, I'd serve her, if there was no one else available to do it instead.

I wouldn't be willing to lose my job over that. But if I owned the place? Oh, yeah.. I'd have the right to refuse anyone service, and that would include her.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Nope. I sure wouldn't. As long as she can pay for her drinks(or have someone else pay for them) and has a valid ID proving she's 21.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Can't you get into trouble for serving a pregnant woman? I thought it was the same as not cutting someone off. I don't care who I worked for, I would not serve her...if someone else wants to, let that be on their conscience!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 10:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• As a bartender (one word btw) it was really not my place to give lectures. I would have a legal issue if she were underage or if she didn't pay, or even if she was so drunk as to cause trouble. But it's not worth losing my job over it. Especially when the chick will probably just go elsewhere to consume her alcohol anyway.

Anonymous

• No, you can't get in trouble for serving her. It's not illegal to have a drink when you're pregnant. I've served pregnant women. Luckily it was only a glass of wine. I never had to deal with a drunk pregnant woman.
    Anonymous

• Nope you sure can't. I worked at a bar and phoned my boss about it. This woman came in every night after work and drank ONE beer then left. My boss told me we could get sued for not serving her or something like that(small town). Not sure how much of it was true, but hey, I was 21, just started the job and didn't want to chance it(*keep in mind I was 21 a LONG time ago)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends on what she ordered. If it were shots, I might try and gently persuade her otherwise, but a glass of wine (if she seemed sober) is a different story.
    When I was pregnant and we'd go out to eat, sometimes when the waiter would ask for our drink order I'd answer with "A bottle of wine with a straw in it, please", totally poker faced...just because when I was hugely knocked up it tickled me to watch the waiters stumble over themselves!
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 11:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not sure on this one...however, keep in mind that I just read a decision today on a landmark lawsuit in which a woman was found guilty of wrecklessly endangering the welfare of a child and several other charges because she was intoxicated and breast feeding her infant.
    SO, I think it will really matter on what district attorney wants to make a name for themself and pursue charges for a pregnant woman who drinks alcohol.
    I can't say that I personally could serve her. I won't buy tobacco for my husband because I hate that he uses it and I truly want him to quit so he lowers his risk of getting mouth, throat, gum cancer - not to mention it's disgusting. I feel like an enabler. It is, however, that woman's decision to drink what she wants - but it's not really fair for her to make that decision for her fetus. Who knows...maybe she cleared it with her doctor.
    Cantstandya

Answer by Cantstandya at 11:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ahhh but women who just had babies, like within a week, do still look pregs. you dont know if she is or not, what if her baby died (god forbid) but i would not question anyone who was of age because i realize that i do not know everything. and btw doc's in europe did a study and found one glass of red wine a week had no adverse effects on babies, just so you know that...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009