When can I let my son sleep on his stomach?

He is a week and a half old, but wants to be on his stomach. He has good head control, but not great.

bigmrscrowe

Asked by bigmrscrowe at 10:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he is able to roll over by himself.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• when the baby starts rolling over on his own.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not until around 7 + months. Before that it is a SIDS risk.
    Anonymous

• I would wait until he can roll back and forth on his own. By then the risk for SIDS goes down a lot.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• That is the wisdom of today....when they can roll over on their own.
    It has been shown to prevent a lot of SIDS deaths by having a baby sleep on their back until they roll over on their own.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ditto to the others.... when he can turn himself over.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my doctor also said its ok for them to sleep on their sides as long as they are in a position where they won't roll onto their stomachs when they move. my son is 1 month old but i asked at his 2 week check up b/c he will manage to get onto his side when you lay him down. i just got a sleep positioner and angle him so he's more on his back than stomach
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I just went ahead and let my daughter sleep on her tummy. Everyone in my family was a tummy sleeper. Its up to you really. It depends on how fearful you are of SIDS - something that they have no idea why it happens.
    Anonymous

• I know they said its a sids risks...but my son has been sleeping on his stomache since 1 1/2 months old. he could turn his head so I wasn't to concerned. But keep blanket away from face just to be safe and nothing in crib but baby and blanket. My son is now 6 months and doing fine. He can roll over and everything. So i think if you are comfortable with it, let you lo sleep how ever is comfortable for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• He's too young actually. Normally when my boys were able to roll over that when I let them sleep on their tummy. Have you tried swaddling your LO?
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009